Poll: the HM:DS- and HM:DS Cute-only Candidates

What happened to Murrey!? A remake of Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (2004) and Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (2005) for Nintendo Switch. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jan 2023. NA release = June 2023. EU release = June 2023.

Do you think that the love interests exclusive to the DS games will be included in SoS: AWL?

Poll ended at Sep 16, 2022 4:27 pm

Yes. All of the love interests will be in the base game.
6%
The regular love interests will be in the base game.
13%
The special love interests will be in the base game.
3%
Yes, but they all will be DLC only.
19%
The regular love interests will be available only as DLC.
8%
The special love interests will only be available as DLC.
18%
No, none of the love interests exclusive to HM:DS and HM:DS Cute will be available in SoS:AWL.
32%

Total votes: 119

PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

The regular candidates in question are Flora, Carter, and Griffin, while the special candidates are the Witch Princess, Harvest Goddess, Keira, Leia, and Skye. While we wait for confirmation either way, do you think that any of them will be available as love interests, whether in the base game or as DLC? Is there 1 of these candidates that you want to be able to marry more than any other? Also, do you think entirely new love interests will be added to SoS:AWL, like how Brandon and Jennifer were added to SoS:FoMT? Are there any previously unavailable townsfolk that you wish you could pursue?

I personally hope Daryl is an bachelor in this one. I thought he was funny growing up, and he was always my best friend in-game. I could also see Vesta becoming a bachelorette. While I would prefer either of them in the base game, I would be content with them as DLC, too.

(For those completely out of the loop here, HM:DS and HM:DS Cute both took place in Forget-Me-Not/Forgotten Valley and feature largely the same cast of characters, with the special love interests being new characters added to the town in the DS games. Flora, Carter, and Griffin will be in SoS:AWL either way, but the question is whether the player can marry them or not.)

Update - Flora has been confirmed to not be a candidate in the base game, as confirmed by Ronin19. She might be DLC, but it's unknown at this time (9/24/2022). Also, Vesta has also been confirmed to be a regular villager.

Update 2 - 9/27/2022 - Between the website updating and pre-order bonuses becoming known, we can now safely assume that the base game will contain a total of 8 love interests, all 7 from the original 3 HM:AWL games and the only newcomer being Cody. No DLC love interests have been announced yet (the only known DLC at this time are some pre-order clothing), so that's still up in the air. It's hard for me to get my hopes up, however.
Last edited by PaleSunflower on Sep 26, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pedro pavani
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

They are clearly hiding some marriage options, given they still pretend Cody isn't an option, despite the trailer making that obvious, so I could see them also adding a new female interest (with Flora being the obvious one) or maybe they consider him as a counterweight to Lumina...

They also seem to know they are making some drama, because in the villager's section they are obviously obfuscating the ones who are potential marriage candidates (Griffin, Daryl, Flora and Carter)

As for the special candidates... The only shot I see is in the kingdom of DLCs, but Marvelous seems unable to add decent post-marriage content to special candidates and DLC candidates, like in POOT and Trio of Towns, and AWL is like, 90% post-marriage content, including at a minimum a pair of unique children. It would be amazing to see the reaction of WP or the goddess to the ending of the game, given their magic and immortality, but I don't think they are likely. I could see the appeal of a Leia DLC and a Skye DLC, they always stood out, in my opinion.
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

My expectations are set so low, I honestly doubt any more candidates. I think the main 4 bachelorettes will obviously be Cecelia, Molly, Nami, and Lumina, and the main 4 bachelors will be Rock, Gustafa, Matthew, and now Cody. I really want Flora as an option since she was my favorite villager from the original...but when it came to the DS version, I feel like Natsume translated her dialogue so weirdly with every sentence she said ending in a "~~~" squiggly. She just had a completely different vibe to her, so I hope Xseed translates her more close to her original counterpart.

As much as I would like to see special candidates from the DS games, I see no way of it happening. I mean, this is A Wonderful Life we're talking about. Characters get old and age in this game.
Do we really want to see and old man version of Skye walking around? And how would post-marriage cutscenes with someone like Leia work??? She'd have to drag her poor fishy body across the floor to move around...unless we shove her in the duck pond again, lmao.

But hey, if any candidate should be DLC, it should be either Van or Murrey/Pui. I know Murrey already has a family, but I think it would be hilarious if we could marry the local bum. And Van just gives me Bon Vivant vibes from FOMT in terms of joke-candidates, haha.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

:/ Unfortunately I think for the amount of work that any extra candidates would require, we're gonna get the bare minimum. DS/Cute got away with it because it doesn't have the chapters/aging thing. Adding extra candidates in a game like this is like writing a game's story with a whole bunch of player choice driven content... It's a snowball rolling down hill. Witcher 2, but maybe worse.

It would be an AWESOME opportunity for DLC, though. Extra content that wouldn't be THAT difficult to make, but would cater to fans who missed out on their favorites, and worth a replay. It feels tailor made, unlike POOT's DLC.

I still doubt we'd get everything from the DS games, even with DLC, but it would be a lot.
cinnamon_yuki
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I still believe the regular love interest will be available in the base game and the special ones will be DLCs. Most likely. Either way if Skye will not be available, I will probably try out Matthew's romance this time around.
XxWizardxMollyxX14
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

My guess is that the special candidates will be dlc and I base this on absolutely nothing.

Or at least, that's my hope if they aren't in the main game.
Burning Spear
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

XxWizardxMollyxX14 wrote: Sep 16, 2022 1:06 am My guess is that the special candidates will be dlc and I base this on absolutely nothing.

Or at least, that's my hope if they aren't in the main game.
I can't see Marvelous NOT trying to lighten our pockets with DLC, so I would think this would be the way it would go, since there is a historical link to these characters. Marvelous could get away with making them mere visitors, without a territory of their own to visit, and there you have your minimal-effort DLC.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I'm also leaning toward DLC, but with the extra content for each candidate, my guess would be a pair of them. Maybe Flora and Carter?

As much as I would love to see the special candidates, with the exception of Skye, they seem like they'd be a weird fit? Maybe I'm getting stuck on picturing Kiera... I guess Leia would fit, and maybe HG and WP would fit as well as they did in the DS version. It's been a long time since I played AWL, and I played a lot more DS/DSC, so maybe I'm just struggling to mash them together. I would LOVE Skye, but I'm not feeling very optimistic about his appearance. :( I would absolutely marry him first, unless Leia or Daryl was a candidate.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I think we are only getting 4 of each gender candidates. The 4 original girls and the 3 original guys plus the Cody(?) redesign. I've been pretty pessimistic when it comes to SOS games for a while now and I've been right most of the time.

I was/am really hoping for Griffin as he is one of the very few bachelors that has ever been "my type" but seeing as he didn't get a redesign I'm doubtful. I wouldn't want them to make him young and hot but I assume he would have gotten the same treatment as the other bachelors if he was available. I hate all the other guys so it looks like I'll have Muffy as my beard again as she's one of my favorite girls from the series anyway.

I could see them adding in the special candidates for DLC like Witch Princess, Leia, or Skye but I doubt they are going to sell a DLC to marry the old barkeep :(
iloverainbow
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

If they are gonna add Carter and Griffin, I think their designs will be overhauled like what they did with Marlin.
midnighttherabbit
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

As much as I dislike the DLC model I can't really see them stopping anytime soon, and adding in marriage candidates seems the most profitable thing to do...

I feel like it'll probably just be the regular DS candidates that are added, since the special candidates for DS might be a little hard to transfer into AWL.
It's possible they'll just add one special candidate as well. If they add the three missing DS candidates, they might add Leia or Keira to keep a balanced gender ratio.

Sort of related, but I wonder if there'll be any connectivity between the FoMT remake and this game. I doubt they'll add Mineral Town candidates like they did in DS, but just Van's shop having extra items like in AWL would be nice.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

iloverainbow wrote: Sep 17, 2022 11:58 pm If they are gonna add Carter and Griffin, I think their designs will be overhauled like what they did with Marlin.
There's a picture of Griffin on the official website. It's hard to see, but here it is on this thread:
Spoiler:
He remains the same, which I think is okay; in AWL, he was more of a father figure to Muffy/Molly than a candidate, so I'm okay with him not being included.

I wouldn't mind more candidates being added in as DLC. However, in my opinion, I don't think Witch Princess, Harvest Goddess, or Keira are gonna make an appearance.
1) The Harvest Goddess wasn't present in any of the AWL games, just Nik, Nak, and Flak, so that also makes the Witch Princess not make an appearance; the Goddesses and Witches go hand in hand.

2) Keira lived on the 255th floor of the third mine in DS. In the AWL games, there was only one mine and it expanded as the years go on. Bigger, but on the same floor. Plus, the Witch Princess cursed her, so I doubt Keira, as much as I love her, wouldn't come back.

I would be perfectly okay with Leia, Skye, Flora, and Daryl being additional candidates.

It's still possible for Leia to move in with Daryl and live in the pond on the farm. I can imagine the duck scene in Chapter 2 being extra cute with her announcement.

Skye is a visitor at night, so I can see him just walking around, especially when, in the original AWL games, there wasn't a bedtime; you can stay up as late as you want and work your own schedule. Skye would fit right in.

Flora was cute in the AWL games and I remember seeing posts wondering why she wasn't eligible, so making her eligible again would make sense.

I know some people crush on Daryl, and he does have a crush on Flora. I think Daryl's crush on Flora made more sense than Flora falling in love with Carter, so I can't see them de-aging Carter. Besides, they de-aged Cody, so de-age Daryl or something.
TahoeMario
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote: Sep 18, 2022 5:23 pm
Spoiler:
I wouldn't mind more candidates being added in as DLC. However, in my opinion, I don't think Witch Princess, Harvest Goddess, or Keira are gonna make an appearance.
1) The Harvest Goddess wasn't present in any of the AWL games, just Nik, Nak, and Flak, so that also makes the Witch Princess not make an appearance; the Goddesses and Witches go hand in hand.

2) Keira lived on the 255th floor of the third mine in DS. In the AWL games, there was only one mine and it expanded as the years go on. Bigger, but on the same floor. Plus, the Witch Princess cursed her, so I doubt Keira, as much as I love her, wouldn't come back.

I would be perfectly okay with Leia, Skye, Flora, and Daryl being additional candidates.

It's still possible for Leia to move in with Daryl and live in the pond on the farm. I can imagine the duck scene in Chapter 2 being extra cute with her announcement.

Skye is a visitor at night, so I can see him just walking around, especially when, in the original AWL games, there wasn't a bedtime; you can stay up as late as you want and work your own schedule. Skye would fit right in.

Flora was cute in the AWL games and I remember seeing posts wondering why she wasn't eligible, so making her eligible again would make sense.

I know some people crush on Daryl, and he does have a crush on Flora. I think Daryl's crush on Flora made more sense than Flora falling in love with Carter, so I can't see them de-aging Carter. Besides, they de-aged Cody, so de-age Daryl or something.
You summed up a lot of my thoughts on these. I agree completely with Flora, Daryl, Leia and Skye. I feel like that might be your base game though, that would end up making an even six of each gender which feels right. Skye visiting after hours still would also give you something to actually do for once during the nighttime other than trying to track down Nami or Rock to give gifts to before they go to bed at like midnight or night-farm. I was absolutely one of those people wishing I could've married Flora on console, btw... and probably on the threads wanting Daryl in AnWL to stop... whatever that was that he was doing and just come inside as well :lol:

I'm gonna tread back over some of what we were talking about on the main thread here, so apologies but: The Goddess technically does appear in the AWL games; just not physically so I get what you mean but I just had to mention that. I could for sure see her being DLC considering. I think it'd be neat if they made it a different Goddess though, like similar to the ones from either STH or MM. It would probably still be the SoS:FoMT Goddess again if she did show up but I just think it'd be funny if she finally appears and it's just like "oh... you're not who I thought you were going to be".

As for the Witch, I did notice that they purposefully only showed the front of Romana's mansion in the trailer during the scene where Takakura is introducing you to her family. However, I did find this on the official website:
Spoiler:
which I know could mean that it's just the forever-locked shack making a comeback but I have to hope that there's something else to it than just being useless again this time if they're bothering to put it back in. idk, maybe I'm wrong... Nice festival though.
And yeah, I can't make a good case for bringing Keira back either, even if they revamped the mining system. Although, it would be a shame if somehow all of the others made it into this installment but not her.

Cody in a way isn't even de-aged that much, really. Just redesigned. Well, as much as Marlin is I guess because canonically I think either Cody or Daryl was the same age as Marlin and the other was only a year or two older than that. AWL was the only title to have canonical ages given for the cast, I believe, in either an official JP strategy guide or on the official site back in the day or something like that. But so, I can totally see either Carter who was in his early 40s being too "absorbed with his life's work" to be woo'd or Griffin who was in his late 40s insisting that he's too old to get married this time around. Which would be unfortunate cause I like them both, probably Griffin moreso but still.

I'd like to see a female love interest that is actually of a different ethnicity of some sort this time around. Because, excluding Tei's family, Grant's family and Cody, there's a LOT of pasty white happening around here lol. And Rock and Cody are both bachelors yet no bachelorettes really. Maybe Cecilia if you go out of your way to see it but no.

In terms of general DLC though, I mean, they've already announced costumes for I think pre-order bonuses and select stores in JP; one I seen looked like the Cow print from AnWL which is bunk that it's locked behind a paywall but I'm glad the fellas can wear it now too, I guess. I'm interested in finding out how they're going to actually do DLC for this game at all because of the chapter system. Because are we meant to stop in the middle of our lives when the new content drops and just restart in order to access it fully or how is that meant to play out?? Either way, despite the pessimism that SoS fans carry a lot nowadays (and reasonably so, in most cases), I have a feeling that we could maybe see one of the first "major" DLC releases for a SoS game if they play their cards right with this one.
Rose Petals
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I actually won't be disappointed if none of the DS or DS Cute exclusive marriage candidates don't come back. For DSCute, I was never a fan of any of the male candidates and just settled for Skye to marry someone. As far as DS goes, I mostly just married Muffy, Celia or Nami. I did try out marrying Leia, Flora and Lumina just to see what they were like. Flora was great as a marriage candidate, but I didn't love her as much as the three originals.
Floh
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I think none of the poll options really fits my opinion, so I'll explain it:

Since we allready got the regular bachelorettes from A Wonderful Life confirmed with Lumina, Rock, Marlin and Gustafa being shown on the same page, I think they just added those from the Special Edition PS2 game and Another Wonderful Life. Even the history page on the japanese site talks about A Wonderful Life, A Wonderful Life PS2 and Another Wonderful Life, so it seems to me, it's a remake of those three games. That's the reason why I don't expect any of the bachelors or bachelorettes from HMDS and HMDS Cute in this game and I haven't seen any signs of that like new buildings or characters in the trailer or in the pictures at all.

But this would leave us with actually 4 bachelorettes (Nami, Celia, Muffy, Lumina) and only 3 bachelors (Rick, Marlin, Gustafa), so I would expect they added a fourth bachelor to balance the scale.

I allready saw a picture of Cody, who also got a new design like Marlin and wouldn't be surprised, if this new design was intentionally to make him look more appealing and introduce him as a bachelor since it would be easier to make him available compared to others. But I would also be happy to see Griffin as a bachelor candidate again. I saw him always as Muffy's counter part in the games, so it would be fitting to make him available for me, but he seems to misfit because he kept the old design while others look way younger.

Concluding I would say, we will get a fourth bachelor and he could be one of the candidates from HMDS Cute, but I doubt we'll get more bachelors/bachelorettes from these games, because Forget Me Not Valley wasn't as populated in AWL as it was in HMDS/Cute. We would have seen some signs for that in the scenes. The last possible option I see are Flora and Carter, but at the moment I don't expect them to be marriage candidates.