Hokko Life Official Thread!

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hokko Life is similar to Animal crossing and I just learned about it. Is anyone getting this game? I’m interested in this so I’ll probably get this instead of HarvestStella.
Last edited by Shan O 123 on Sep 29, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I'll likely get both down the line, but Hokko Life I'll get first. It seems to be more of what I want to play in farming games right now. HarvestStella looks very good though. I'm just not a fan of SE sadly, so I'm not fully enticed to get it. Likely on sale or maybe Christmas for HarvestStella.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

There's no Stella in Harvestella, you cute people :) (Unless you decide to name the main character Stella, I guess!) Though I've disliked the name 'Harvestella' from reveal...might as well change it to HarvestStella...slightly more intriguing.

I'm gonna get Hokko Life because I love the customization. When I saw that you can colour every heart on the back of that bench INDIVIDUALLY, I was sold. I don't actually anticipate being super into the game, but because of that one feature, I must have it.

I haven't decided about Harvestella yet. If they really do tweak the passage of time in some way, then I probably will, as the story was pretty intriguing, and I personally LOVE the farming controls, I find them super smooth and efficient, so...yeah, I'll get it if they make it so the game doesn't stress me out any more.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I am definitely planning on getting it. Yes, it's an Animal Crossing clone, but it looks like a good one, and I like Animal Crossing. I haven't decided if I want to get it on release, or wait for a sale. From what I have read about the early stuff it sounds really good, though I would like to hear how it runs on the Switch vs the computer.

I think the part that most intrigued me was its time aspect. If I recall correctly it's supposed to not run on real time, but have days of its own timing. Some people are actually salty about it not using a real time clock like Animal Crossing, but I'm pleased at the prospect it doesn't. I like faster progress, provided it's not stressfully fast.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I'm interested in Hokko life, too. I've watched 2 reviews on it. But, the one I'm leaving here is mostly positive.

(NintenTalk - Hokko Life Nintendo Switch Review... IS IT GOOD?)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

As a review it's okay, but...it's not cool that they call this a 'Switch Review' right in the title, while saying they only played on PC. :? The most important part to me at this point is to know how it performs on the Switch itself, not the reviewers opinion of the content.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Lol I follow NintenTalk, he’s planning on getting it on the switch.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

But that still means that this video shouldn't be called Hokko Life Nintendo Switch Review, because it is NOT a review of Hokko Life on Nintendo Switch. :x He can probably get a free copy if he wants to, as Hokko Life posted this:
JayDucky03
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Harvest Moon kawaii wrote: Sep 23, 2022 6:15 am I'm interested in Hokko life, too. I've watched 2 reviews on it. But, the one I'm leaving here is mostly positive.

(NintenTalk - Hokko Life Nintendo Switch Review... IS IT GOOD?)
Oh wow I haven't even heard of this game but it's right up my alley! :lala:
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

I'm on the fence about this one. The animal residents seem a bit lifeless to me with little personality. I understand there is a very strict linear pattern for unlocking upgrades so you need to grind requests etc that may not interest you at the time to get to what you want. The price point is good but, with the economy right now, I need to be careful what games I buy.

I just don't know.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

For me, the villagers don't matter. They don't matter to me in Animal Crossing, as they're all the same and all pretty boring, and even less in Hokko Life, since it's going in hard on the town customization, even more than ACNH.

For $23 CAD (approx) I'm fine with just playing around with town decoration and landscaping. I'm happy that it doesn't work on real-clock time, and even if I get bored after a dozen or so hours, that's okay with me at this price. (Though I love town-building/decorating, so I don't think I'll get bored THAT fast.) It seems like a good game to have LOTS to do in, but without a time limit, which I'm in the mood for.

Life in Willowdale comes out the same day as Hokko Life, but it's double the price at about $45 CAD, and it looks less interesting (and has incredibly weird character models, though I do like that all the villagers are humans rather than animals.) Hokko Life seems like it'll be worth the price no matter what, for me, but Willowdale is a lot more iffy. I need some reviews on that one.

The only hiccup for me is I'd still like to hear how Hokko Life performs on Switch, since Switch ports are known for being more troubled than any others. Still, since the dev is giving out review keys now, I hope that in the next few days more info about Switch performance will start coming out. I'm quite sure I'll like the game enough to be worth the price, but not if the game crashes or glitches all the time.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Aww the art style of Life in Willowdale reminds me of the LEGO friends series I used to watch. May get that too probably after this. Gotta see
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well...with the rest of my gold points, and 20% off due to new release, Hokko Life cost me $1.23. Guess there's no reason not to try it out, lol.

Hokko Life is loading on my Switch right now. Guess it unlocked at midnight. Okay, I am now in the character creator! Yep I am now playing Hokko Life. (I have only heard from one person playing this game on Switch, so far. They've played a couple of hours and no glitches yet, which...good to start with, I guess?)

The character customizer is minimal. You can change your hairstyle and your colours (skin, hair, eyes.)

Story is also very minimal (there really isn't any...you oversleep on the train and the animals in the town you end up in are like 'Wanna live here, then?' and you say 'okay' and that's the type of story this game has. Not an exaggeration. There is an almost horrifying lack of depth.) and dialogue is simple and very...expected. Super basic. No personality at all, tbh. The point of this game is definitely the building and customizing of the town. But I haven't gotten to try any customizing or rearranging, yet. You have to go through all this starter stuff, though, as you can't do whatever you want right from the first second, so I haven't been able to try out any customizing or even moving of any buildings/constructions.
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Kikki: I've heard there can be problems placing items using controllers on the Switch version. Let us know when you further in the game, please. You got a great deal! I just don't know if the shallowness is worth $20 to me.
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Don't know why I posted twice, so ignore this one. :P