Coral Island

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
cinnamon_yuki
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Ayumi_Ishimaru wrote: Oct 10, 2022 4:44 pm I’m a little surprised they chose to have almost all of the guys with facial hair. I’m assuming the remaining 3 candidates are merfolk as well, but that would still mean the majority of them have facial hair. Once again, I like the female candidates over the males as I usually do in farming sims (not a bad thing but I wish I liked the guys more than I do).

While I’m very excited to try the game, I am a little nervous that the number of dateable characters will feel overwhelming. I think it’s great that the devs created so many characters in general, but I am anxious to see what they’ll all actually be like in the game and how memorable they end up being.
I don't mind the facial hair. It's a nice change from the usual male designs we see in BokuMono. :lol: I'm not sure from Indonesia on the choice of facial hairs. In my country, it's a mixed bag. Obviously most East Asians here are clean shaven, but Filipinos range from scruffy looks to clean shaven.

Here's Agung if anyone want to look at him! He has a bit of facial hair but not too much!
Last edited by cinnamon_yuki on Oct 10, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's just the same problem Bokumono has, except reversed. Bokumono almost never did bachelors with facial hair, and Coral Island almost always does. A better balance would be nice...don't go so far in either direction.

Agung's action shot is nice.
cinnamon_yuki
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Probably trying to make up for the years where there were no bachelors with not facial hair. :lol:
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm okay with merfolk being marriage candidates, but will they live in a tank or a pond, like Leia? ._.
Terranigma Freak
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Mabbie wrote: Oct 11, 2022 6:03 am I'm okay with merfolk being marriage candidates, but will they live in a tank or a pond, like Leia? ._.
I want to know how you make babies with them.
cinnamon_yuki
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

EA is now live and it seems regional pricing really help me decide to buy a couple more for friends and siblings. :heart: I have experienced the diving mechanic and I can't get enough.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I’m in the same boat with the folks waiting out early access. I backed it, and I believe I even got an alpha key, but I just can’t do early access anymore. It’ll be at least a year before I play this one. I’m super-pumped for it, especially the polish, the large cast, and the underwater area. I’m also excited about the marriage candidates, but I’d rather reserve judgment until I meet them in-game. At first glance, I’ll probably go for a lady, but I’ll need to play.
Kikki wrote: Oct 10, 2022 4:56 am So far I haven't heard much complaint about it being buggy (I'm sure there are SOME, because there've just gotta be, in early access.)
Their newsletters used to have very funny bug of the month gifs, usually with graphical glitches. ^_^ I think they patch those and keep them to a minimum, though.
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Terranigma Freak wrote: Oct 11, 2022 7:42 am
Mabbie wrote: Oct 11, 2022 6:03 am I'm okay with merfolk being marriage candidates, but will they live in a tank or a pond, like Leia? ._.
I want to know how you make babies with them.
The biology classes I took showed me that it could be an awkward procedure.

ANYWAY, it's out. I thought it was going to be more expensive.. I guess I'll keep reading the Steam community threads to figure out if I'm going to buy it now or wait some more.
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

I've been watching some game play and I am intrigued. Will wait til console release to decide if I purchase, tho.

I agree with Kikki about the Disney look to the guys, which is a turn off for me. I don't mind the facial hair, but there really should be a better mix.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Okay, after playing for a full in-game year and completing all the main quests available so far, I can give my reactions here.

1) The areas and characters are vibrant and fantastic.
2) Farming and ranching are fun.
3) Mining is enjoyable.
4) I didn't know I needed a diving portion of a farming sim until I played this. It's fantastic and I can't wait to explore more of the deep.

Overall, I think if you like Stardew Valley you'll like Coral Island. It's very similar to Stardew Valley and improves on it in terms of customization and characters, brings in familiar ways to farm, ranch, and mine, and brings in new mechanics that Stardew doesn't have like diving and bug catching.
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks a lot for your input, Ronin!! By completing the quests "so far", do you mean they'll release more quests on the future, or do you mean you completed the quests for the first year?

I really like Stardew Valley, the only thing I really hate about that game is the mine and monsters being so annoying and difficult...

Now, a dumb question: do you think the game price will increase when the full game releases?

Did you have the chance to woo any candidates? hahah sorry for so many questions
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You can get the answers to some of your question on Coral Island's FAQ and road map, Mabbie :) You can see it here. But briefly: they haven't decided yet if the price will increase when they hit full release, and I can't tell by the road map if it's yet possible to woo any candidates.

I know that there isn't anything above a 4 heart level with any candidate in the game right now, but I don't know if there's *anything* romantic available yet, or not, by what the road map says. (Which is that in the spring 2023 update, they'll be adding the 5-heart content. Not sure if that means that 1-4 is in already, or that none is in yet and 1-5 will all be added in spring.)

Perhaps Ronin was able to see a heart event? If so, that must mean that they included heart events from 1-4 from the start.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mabbie wrote: Oct 22, 2022 4:33 am Thanks a lot for your input, Ronin!! By completing the quests "so far", do you mean they'll release more quests on the future, or do you mean you completed the quests for the first year?

I really like Stardew Valley, the only thing I really hate about that game is the mine and monsters being so annoying and difficult...

Now, a dumb question: do you think the game price will increase when the full game releases?

Did you have the chance to woo any candidates? hahah sorry for so many questions
Kikki wrote: Oct 22, 2022 4:47 am You can get the answers to some of your question on Coral Island's FAQ and road map, Mabbie :) You can see it here. But briefly: they haven't decided yet if the price will increase when they hit full release, and I can't tell by the road map if it's yet possible to woo any candidates.

I know that there isn't anything above a 4 heart level with any candidate in the game right now, but I don't know if there's *anything* romantic available yet, or not, by what the road map says. (Which is that in the spring 2023 update, they'll be adding the 5-heart content. Not sure if that means that 1-4 is in already, or that none is in yet and 1-5 will all be added in spring.)

Perhaps Ronin was able to see a heart event? If so, that must mean that they included heart events from 1-4 from the start.
So what I mean by "so far" is that I can't progress with 3 of the main quests I have. Heck, one of them isn't even fully written with a character T-posing.

So far, the combat is probably simpler than Stardew with only two monsters so far (slimes and spiders). They die pretty quickly and you've got a generous amount of health.

Imo, I don't think they'll increase the price, but since it's in early access there is always that chance.

Like Kikki mentioned, they didn't add much in terms of romance. The guy I'm after, Scott, wouldn't progress past 5 hearts and I didn't see any events with him despite a post mentioning he has one in the community center.. I did see an event for Noah once I got him to two hearts and it was a sweet moment with his mother. Their relationship kind of reminds me of Elli and Ellen in HM64.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So basically, then...there's no romance in the game yet. Right? Sounds like you can raise FP to a max of 5 hearts (for everyone, I assume, not just romance targets?) but you can't actually have any romantic encounters. Does the game already have changing daily dialogue by heart level? (Though maybe that's not a thing with this game, I don't know. I hope it does, though...that's one of the best things about Bokumono, for me...seeing all of the characters grow more complex as you get closer to them.)

Sounds like even early romantic stuff won't be a thing until spring 2023. Well, keeping things barebones at the start probably means they can concentrate on basic function and QoL, to begin. :) I like that they're taking it slow...feels like good quality being built.

Thanks Ronin :)
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote: Oct 24, 2022 12:03 am So what I mean by "so far" is that I can't progress with 3 of the main quests I have. Heck, one of them isn't even fully written with a character T-posing.

So far, the combat is probably simpler than Stardew with only two monsters so far (slimes and spiders). They die pretty quickly and you've got a generous amount of health.

Imo, I don't think they'll increase the price, but since it's in early access there is always that chance.

Like Kikki mentioned, they didn't add much in terms of romance. The guy I'm after, Scott, wouldn't progress past 5 hearts and I didn't see any events with him despite a post mentioning he has one in the community center.. I did see an event for Noah once I got him to two hearts and it was a sweet moment with his mother. Their relationship kind of reminds me of Elli and Ellen in HM64.
Thanks a lot, Ronin. I must admit I'm a bit bummed because there will be monsters inside the mine... it just takes all the fun away for me :'( but that's the only downside so far. Definitely will buy it when the full version comes out.