Pokemon Scarlet&Violet Release Thread

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Harvest Moon kawaii wrote: Nov 27, 2022 7:40 am I caught 2 more shiny Pokémon. My shiny count is now 3.

I'm not very far. I've battled 1 Gym Leader, did 1 Titan quest, and 0 for Starfall.
My daughter has caught a couple. Honestly I think I'm too unfamiliar with some of these pokemon to know the difference. Was hoping they would sparkle or something to make it obvious. I thought I had one, but it ended up being a bird type with different plumage. :(
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

LeBurns wrote: Nov 28, 2022 9:34 am
Harvest Moon kawaii wrote: Nov 27, 2022 7:40 am I caught 2 more shiny Pokémon. My shiny count is now 3.

I'm not very far. I've battled 1 Gym Leader, did 1 Titan quest, and 0 for Starfall.
My daughter has caught a couple. Honestly I think I'm too unfamiliar with some of these pokemon to know the difference. Was hoping they would sparkle or something to make it obvious. I thought I had one, but it ended up being a bird type with different plumage. :(
Same. I could have passed shinies without knowing because I am not familiar with what the new shinies are supposed to look like, especially if they are subtle ones. The sparkle animation and noise in Arceus was sooo nice.

I played a bit more and only have two more gyms and two bases. Just beat the last titan (but didn't finish that storyline just yet.) I am hoping to do more exploring, catching, and leveling up before progressing the storylines further. Oh, and I also caught up in the school classes available thus far, which I think are almost finished.

I thought I would share this screenshot of my initial impression of this character. I literally said this to my husband when I saw the awesome apron with all those pockets, lol!
fishifishie
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I just completed my pokedex in scarlett and got my shiny charm!

This will probably be the first pokemon game I actually shiny hunt and train competitive teams for! Even just for the raids.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I haven’t caught a shiny yet cRi
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I've battled 2 gym leaders, completed 1 Titan quest, and am about to do my first operation for Team Starfall.

Haven't caught anymore shiny Pokemon.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

My daughter showed in on my profile where you can check to see if you've fought any shiny. Mine says zero. So I guess at least I know know I didn't fight one without knowing it.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Finished another gym and was well overleveled. That leaves one gym and the two bases to finish for me. Also yesterday I finally came across my first shiny which thankfully was obvious. The light blue Toxicroak was in a massive outbreak I was fighting to get more experience. Caught it and named him Looker. :) I also finished all the school classes and finals. The rewards for the classes and teacher event lines are nice.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Remember y'all; Charizard Raids start this Thursday. You'll need to at least have finished the main story to access it, but there will be a rerun at a later date. Be sure to bring your best mons so you can catch a good one!
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

greensara wrote: Nov 30, 2022 7:55 am Finished another gym and was well overleveled. That leaves one gym and the two bases to finish for me. Also yesterday I finally came across my first shiny which thankfully was obvious. The light blue Toxicroak was in a massive outbreak I was fighting to get more experience. Caught it and named him Looker. :) I also finished all the school classes and finals. The rewards for the classes and teacher event lines are nice.
I did the initial classes and such, but is there more? Do you go back to the school and more classes are available? Honestly I thought the first two(?) levels of classes were it and were there just to give some basic info. I had read all the book you could read also, do more of them appear?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Er, I have to finally ask. What on earth is so special about 'shiny' pokemon? Do they have a permanent sparkle effect that people just like that much, that people put themselves to so much bother to go looking for them? Or their colours are prettier or something? I've heard of people going to extraordinary lengths to get them but it seems like way too much bother for a cosmetic option. Maybe just for your absolute favourite pokemon, I could see it? BUt it sounds like it takes HOURS of hunting the same pokemon over and over to find a shiny one.

I don't think I've ever seen one. Mind you, I only played Swish, and I never grinded for anything in it, so I guess it's normal that I've never seen one.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: Dec 01, 2022 4:36 am Er, I have to finally ask. What on earth is so special about 'shiny' pokemon? Do they have a permanent sparkle effect that people just like that much, that people put themselves to so much bother to go looking for them? Or their colours are prettier or something? I've heard of people going to extraordinary lengths to get them but it seems like way too much bother for a cosmetic option. Maybe just for your absolute favourite pokemon, I could see it? BUt it sounds like it takes HOURS of hunting the same pokemon over and over to find a shiny one.

I don't think I've ever seen one. Mind you, I only played Swish, and I never grinded for anything in it, so I guess it's normal that I've never seen one.
It's just a different colored variant with the sparkle effect. They're basically bragging rights, but some shiny Pokemon are extraordinarily rare. Some pokemon are 'shiny locked' meaning the only way to get one shiny is hacked or via a gift event from Game Freak themselves. There's also different variants to the sparkle effect making some of them 'brilliant shiny' over just normal shiny. On top of all that, already special form Pokemon IN shiny form are extremely coveted by certain players. For example, Polteageist, a Teapot Pokemon has a extremely rare variant where it has an antique seal on the bottom of it's pot that makes said pot a genuine article (in universe) rather than a knockoff, so getting THAT one shiny would be quite a feat.

Some people just want a variant color for the sake of having it, because they are special at the end of the day, especially the ones you have to breed to get because they're not out in the wild or the ones you have to continually reset for as there's only one of them.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ah, I see, thanks :) I thought maybe they had slightly enhanced stats or something that'd make them prized for anyone who played in competition. I don't think I could ever have the dedication to grind for hours to get a special colour of any single Pokemon, though I'm sure I'd prefer some of the shiny colours to plain ones...I love re-skin options.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Update your games! There's a new patch out that vastly improves performance.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

LeBurns wrote: Dec 01, 2022 4:23 am
greensara wrote: Nov 30, 2022 7:55 am Finished another gym and was well overleveled. That leaves one gym and the two bases to finish for me. Also yesterday I finally came across my first shiny which thankfully was obvious. The light blue Toxicroak was in a massive outbreak I was fighting to get more experience. Caught it and named him Looker. :) I also finished all the school classes and finals. The rewards for the classes and teacher event lines are nice.
I did the initial classes and such, but is there more? Do you go back to the school and more classes are available? Honestly I thought the first two(?) levels of classes were it and were there just to give some basic info. I had read all the book you could read also, do more of them appear?
You may already have found your answer, but there are more classes added as you progress in the game, seeming to me to be based on gym badges earned. I think there are maybe 7 or 8 per course, can't remember for sure, and that's with the midterm and final included.

I finished all the story threads and rolled the credits a couple of days ago. Oh. My. Goodness. Loved it, especially the Team Star one. In the post game now, doing raids and working on the Pokedex. Not going to spoil anything, but I feel like we totally need DLC now and should inevitably get it as I have so many lore related questions, lol!
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

greensara wrote: Dec 04, 2022 11:36 am
LeBurns wrote: Dec 01, 2022 4:23 am
You may already have found your answer, but there are more classes added as you progress in the game, seeming to me to be based on gym badges earned. I think there are maybe 7 or 8 per course, can't remember for sure, and that's with the midterm and final included.

I finished all the story threads and rolled the credits a couple of days ago. Oh. My. Goodness. Loved it, especially the Team Star one. In the post game now, doing raids and working on the Pokedex. Not going to spoil anything, but I feel like we totally need DLC now and should inevitably get it as I have so many lore related questions, lol!
Thanks. I would have never even thought of going back to the classes. If there was some clue given in game I missed it completely, which wouldn't surprise me.