Backlog 2023

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
yzafre
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I've completed all the games I wanted to finish before ToTK. I'm basically just on-call for work, caught up on all my projects. I'm scrambling to find things to distract me. I feel like I'm going to vibrate out of my skin.

It's. SO CLOSE.

I'm going to the midnight release to pick up my physical copy, after which I will come home and immediately crash (I am NOT a night person). My dad is coming over at 8 tomorrow morning with his copy, so we can both play together. I'm so so so so excited and these last few hours of waiting are going to be agonizing, I just know it.

Happy Zelda weekend, everyone!
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Like many here, my late winter/early spring was rough due to health matters. I haven't had a thyroid for 20 yrs. so have been on a supplement. It's a pretty stable dosage but occassionally needs tweaking. It got too high in December so I had a couple weeks of Afib. The nurse practitioner I saw cut the dosage way back. After a month I felt rotten: exhausted, cold, hair falling out and my anxiety/depression were thru the roof. So back to my dr who said my numbers were spot on. So, I asked, why do I feel like death warmed over? It all boils down to numbers being a median and some people are going to fall outside it.

He upped my dosage between the low and the high and it seems to be working better. The hard part is it takes about 8 weeks for differences to be felt. And it took all of that. But I'm finally feeling a bit better. I didn't accomplish much gaming when it was bad, but I did play and finish Wylde Flowers, a game that surprised me by being so good! I think I sank about 50 hours in it. I found the story very good, the conversations were much better than many games. I'm not crazy about many of the witchy games as they feel childish to me. Wylde Flowers definitely isn't childish. I started a new game in Fantasy Life on my N2DS.

Finally this month I felt up to starting a new file in BotW, not to do much other than really exploring and relaxing with it. I found it hard to get into the game when I first got it as I am more used to linear play. I found myself thinking "what the hell do I do now?' a lot. Then I learned to just go with the flow and explore. It became a lot more fun. I am glad the TotK appears to have more story as I felt it was lacking in BotW.

Anyway, I'm sick of staring at the avatar on my Switch home screen and cannot wait to hit it and fire up the game. I don't know if it will be midnite or when I get up about 6am tomorrow. I'm just glad it's here and I'm in better shape to play it.

I hope it's a great time for all of us.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I sent you a Switch friend request K8sMum. I won't be offended if you don't accept it, though. :)

~

Woke up to the sound of Sister creeping downstairs at 3AM. We both knew she'd stay up til midnight to play for a few hours at least...she's someone who'd probably prefer to go to bed every night between 2AM and 5AM, and then stay in bed until noon.

It resulted in me finding I had a stiff jaw, sore neck, and a major crick in between my shoulderblades, though...and then I couldn't go back to sleep. So I did end up playing in the night. With the window open in May, cricket chirping and birdsong are coming through almost constantly. Gotta tell you, there was a spot where that sounded particularly good with the sounds and ambiance of where I was in TotK. It was really cool. Reminds me of that time I was cycling and a bird flew alongside me for a hundred feet or so, at exactly the same height and speed. Surreal in an awesome way.

I was a mite bored while playing, tbh, but I know why. Won't elaborate right now, but it's not because I dislike the game. I did quit playing before 8AM (went out to the chiro then) when I got to the part where I really wanted to keep playing. I haven't been champing at the bit to play, tbh. Not that I didn't want to, I just wasn't feeling any strong pull that made me neeeeeeed it. (Unlike the day before Trio of Towns released, when I repainted one of my bathroom walls with what I will forever call 'Trio of Towns Blue'...though in reality I believe it was something like 'Wedgewood'. I had to keep myself busy or go crazy waiting! That never happened with TotK.)

Anyway, I really want to continue, now, but am going to wait until after I've picked up Kiddo and gotten everything set up. In fact, longer...because I plan to watch her play the beginning hours rather than continue my own game right away. I think she'll have more fun with commentary and feedback. So I think this works out well. Once she's done...or if I can't stand it any more...I'll pick my own game back up.

Found a cute surprise when I got back from the chiro. I knew Kiddo was dropping off her stuff, but when I got into the kitchen, I found a plate of Monster Cake cupcakes, and a plate of Triforce cookies. Kiddo must have made them herself! Those were actually the two I'd have gone for myself, if I was going to make BotW-themed desserts. Anyway, very cute. :) Kiddo plays it cool and dry, just by nature, like every member of my family does due to my dad's dominant genes. (Barring my crazy, curly puppy of a mom, that is. I'm happy to say that my mom does not, in fact, share any genes with my dad.) But I guess she's pretty excited after all.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote: May 11, 2023 9:33 am Sounds like you're still having fun with FE Engage, Shan! :) Which is awesome. It's fun sometimes to reset games and see how much you've learned.
Yeah it’s really fun. Especially now that I know what to do
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I got a call a couple days ago informing me of the store's late night release thing. No way. I am too old and tired in my thirties that I can't hardly stay awake past 8 at night. Of course if the kids didn't want to wake up at 5 or earlier, that might be different, lol. Helps get ready for school in time at least. Anyway, I went today to pick up my copy of TOTK when the store was normally supposed to open to see it shuttered closed. There was a note on the door saying that due to staffing issues, they won't be opening until later in the afternoon. Wow. Some drama must have went down. At least I had another errand I had to do while I was out so it wasn't a total waste of a trip. I'll probably try again when school is out, the girls might like that. On the plus side, my son is doing great in potty-training, so it's been a productive wait. Soon Link, sooooon!!
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: May 12, 2023 6:00 am I sent you a Switch friend request K8sMum. I won't be offended if you don't accept it, though. :)
Thanks, Kikki. Of course I accepted it. :-)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hope you get your copy this evening greensara!
K8sMum wrote: May 12, 2023 1:16 pm
Kikki wrote: May 12, 2023 6:00 am I sent you a Switch friend request K8sMum. I won't be offended if you don't accept it, though. :)
Thanks, Kikki. Of course I accepted it. :-)
Thank you :) I was actually surprised you weren't already ON my friend list. I was combing the names, thought maybe you had a name I didn't know was you, so I checked your number to see...and it turns out that no, I didn't have you, so...had to fix that. (I'm afraid I can't remember who half the people on my friends list are because they use different screen names. Even though almost every single one is from Fogu.)

~

So, Tears is really fun, and the trailers, plus the developer 'interviews', plus finally getting to play, have all thoroughly hardened the opinion I already bad. Tears is NOT 'basically DLC for BotW'. It's far closer to true, in my eyes, that BotW is like a DLC prequel to Tears. Tears feels way more fully-featured. Won't say why or anything else, cuz who knows what's a spoiler, but imo...this was the game they wanted to make for Switch, but couldn't because it was actually initially promoted as a Wii U release, and the Wii U could never have handled all this additional...stuff.

Thing is, there's so much to do, I don't know what to tackle. Plus there's not a lot of info out there. I'd like to go in search of armour sets first, to make all other exploration easier, but I've no idea where to look.
Roinda

Post  Posted:

Spent some time switching between Switches playing ACNH and starting up a new game of Pokémon Let’s Go Eevee.

Took a break from all that to go back to 3oT. I’m currently on 5th Summer so all towns are now unlocked. I do wish there was some kind of guide or journal in the game to remind you what you were doing when you stopped playing. I’m working on the first lot of Farming Tips and just need to raise three different crops. Which will help me with the last task for unlocking Westown’s Town Link Rank D. I’m not worrying about marriage at the moment, just concentrating on my farm. Not even sure who I’m going to marry anyway.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So, Tears is an exploration-lover's dream, but...it's also OVERWHELMING. Picture BotW, and the way it distracted you constantly. Meaning to go activate a tower, say, at the start of your play session...and ending up wandering through a strange forest, then into a canyon, then to the top of the mountain, then realizing it's past time for bed and you never made it to the tower.

That's Tears, except Tears is about four times worse, because it is so stuffed with, well...stuff. There's four times the things to get distracted by!

And today is unbelievably gorgeous. Weather like this always reminds me of why I can't be bothered to travel. Unless it's winter, why would I ever want to be anywhere but here? I'm already in the best place on earth! It's very sunny, and the temperature is warm, but we've got a cold, fairly strong wind (mom's dogs were freaking out because of the howling noise the gusts were making coming across the field.) so it's warm and sunny but refreshing.

I have a point! And that is that it really is too freaking beautiful today to play a video game. Not only am I feeling overburdened by the sheer mass of stuff to do in TotK, I can't concentrate because of this stunningly perfect outdoorsy day. And my chiro went overboard with my adjustment yesterday so my bits are all cramping up extra and all I want to do is put my stretch-boot back on and sleep under the breeze blowing in through my open window.

Game = quite good. Nature = the best. I guess I'm basically saying that even though part of me does want to keep playing, I think I'm not in the mood to continue, today. But it doesn't mean Tears is in any way (so far) a disappointment. Oh and I'm gonna fink. My sister played until SEVEN IN THE MORNING. Yes, she literally played ALL night. She's gonna be crunchy and complaining all week because her weekend schedule makes her unfit for her weekday schedule.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Well, I got TotK at the special midnight event, though it was nine for me since I live in CA. Decent amount of people at this event. In fact, I think the turn out was more than the Pokemon Scarlet and Violet midnight event. Anyway, it was nice seeing so many people there and excited for the game. Obviously, I cannot play right now because I need to play the first, but that's fine. I've avoided spoilers for BotW for the most part, so it'll be a new experience for me. I also need to make sure to avoid spoilers for the sequel as well.

Outside of that, I decided to buy Fuga: Melodies of Steel, both the 1st and 2nd, for the Switch. The game looks cool and I really like the art style. I'm hoping I'll have fun with the games when I can play them. They seem like Cat quest in terms of being on the short side and I do kind of need a shorter game to play for right now.

In terms of others games, I don't have much to say right now. Still pretty much the same. I'll likely play test more things this weekend, and delve into Zelda BotW to get a feel for it.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Yes, I got my copy of TOTK and it is AWESOME!!!! I do feel a bit overwhelmed like when I first started BOTW, it really is a lot. Haven't gotten far yet, but I'm really happy with it. Also, when I was able to pick the game up, I was given a special event sleeve, which I didn't know was a thing. Haven't opened it yet because the kids started fighting over who was going to get the "Link arm", lol.

Hope everyone else is having fun too!
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Big game release weekend... Diablo IV server slam!

I hate testing games, especially if I have to pay to bug test, so I passed on the two earlier beta phases with no regrets. But this was a server test, and it sounded like they patched and balanced it. I was a little leery of the launch crashes from III (and honestly, any popular PC game), but I didn't even have to queue for login or opening games. YEAH!

I'm glad I played. I've been avoiding a lot of coverage, since whether I or someone else likes it will be pretty subjective (arpg folks are Like That). But it's pretty much exactly what I wanted. The test had a bit of the narrative, but also showed off the random quests available in each map area, quests that seem time or server-based, events that other folks can enter to make it collaborative and tougher, and the realm boss, which was awesome and very tough. I tried out the first instance this morning and got creamed, but just got a good party to finish it off. I died a lot (lol), but I had a non-shameful setup and did decent damage, at least.

I am really excited for this! Definitely to play through it, but I'm really excited to try out the seasons, expansions, etc. Hopefully this will be the version that three could have been. <3
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

I was up at 5:45am Friday to play the downloaded TotK. The game, imho, does not disappoint. As others have said it's enormous both in size and stuff to do. After doing the sky island opening it was nice to get back to Hyrule and continue the story for a bit.

Since then I've mostly concentrated on towers ( which are much cooler) and shrines and just exploring. Everything in this game feels more organic to me. I love the new abilities, especially ascend.

I was up to 6 hearts but beware:
Spoiler:
in some caves and even on the regular land the atmosphere will suddenly turn angry red and these horrible hands come up and grab you, not only killing you but there's a good chance it will delete 1 heart. This is the Gloom! Vile, evil stuff.I am trying to remember to save more often. I want that hard earned heart back. :oops:
iLoveSprites75
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Knocked the story of One World off the list, finally. Was going to play it a bit longer, but... Now it seems there's not much else to do.

I've got 5 games on my playing list currently, 4/5 of them I haven't touched in ages, with Pokémon Crystal not being touched in probably a month. My husband and I both started it to play, battle, and trade, but I need to level grind and I just wasn't feeling it. That's likely my best bet; I'm about halfway through Johto.

One of my hopes is they add Pokémon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire to the NSO thingy at some point...
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Aside from its technical problems (resolution, frame rate, pop in, etc), TotK's Hyrule is a pretty fun world to go back to. The controls are SO strange to get used to. Even barring Nintendo vs Xbox standards, BotW controls are weird. The only bit that's standard and good is bow controls being on shoulder buttons.

Spent most of my time exploring, reacquainting myself with the world. I've done next to no main quest, mostly what's been forced on me. Past the tutorial, I nabbed a horse and tried to go run off on my own and explore...
Spoiler:
Made it all the way to Rito Village before activating a single part of the map. I'm actually shocked I found it.
Not sure what made me go back to main quest... Realized in writing this, but it's a mechanical spoiler.
Spoiler:
On the way to Rito Village I activated a number of shrines, all of which were obviously going to be wind themed, which told me that the glider had to be in the game. Glad I went back for it.... holy « Cow Poopoo » exploring without the glider is hell.
I still DO NOT like BotW combat, but there's plenty of opportunity to avoid it and explore instead. I've spent...most of my hours revisiting places, searching for spots where memory cutscenes were, finding towns without maps to guide me, that sort of thing. It's been a really nice nostalgia trip, seeing how I haven't touched BotW since 2017.

The one streamer I was hoping to play the game did end up playing a bit over the weekend and it was nice to see somebody with mixed feelings about the game. Having fun, but not spending the whole time gushing. It felt very... real? Like I could trust when they liked something they really did. Confirmation bias didn't hurt either, though.

As much as I love exploration in ToTK, I miss Torrent SO MUCH. (Torrent is the Elden Ring horse.) Having to go to a specific location to pick up a horse sucks, but not being able to pick up items on the ground while on the horse REALLY sucks. With the amount of ingredient farming this this game requires, I cannot believe they didn't fix that. You waste SO much time jumping off the horse to pick one thing up and then having to go get the horse again. Torrent also controls way better than these horses do... too good, I'm sure, but it's a video game. If you want me to use the horse, why would you make that a struggle?

Torrent also has a double jump. Automatically the better video game horse.

I've actually had a number of BotW NPC run ins, which have been great. Big spoilers, though.
Spoiler:
Impa I saw at a distance near the horse stable, and was a bit shocked that she was out so far from home. That was before I got my paraglider. Also obviously everybody at Rito Village, though that hardly counts.

After THAT I did a loop around the map trying to activate map towers, and mostly failing because I didn't have what I needed to solve those puzzles, or the NPC who needed to 'fix them' was absent. And a couple of different times I got really lucky with the falling sky debris that basically catapulted me across large swaths of the map. One of these times I got up to a sky ruin, though I was too low to be able to get up to the main portion of it.

And from way up in the sky, over the northern portion of the map, not exactly sure where I am (just that I was in the Zora area, the map textures are the same), I can see somebody on the ground. Look through the camera on my bootleg Shiekah Slate, hoping it wasn't a big enemy and nope! Surprise surprise, it's Sidon! He was teeny tiny even through the camera, but spotting him from a sky rock was something else. So I've 'started' the Rito and Zora quests without meaning to.
If I had to compare it to something... I feel like TotK is TRYING to have its Majora's Mask moment, but hasn't quite stuck the landing. It's closer to Majora's Mask 3D. There's a lot good there, but there's a lot of niggling little flaws that as a player who has played another version of this game, they stand out and you wish they weren't there. Helps a lot that I haven't played BotW in so long.

In other news I played Star Rail on Thursday night before the midnight release, and I got a 5 star weapon in a single ten pull after my character, which was great. Felt like the game saying 'please don't leave me'. :lol:

Later that day edit: I've unlocked quite a bit of not nostalgia based exploration now, so TotK is hooking me. What a damn shame this thing is stuck on a potato machine, it's a better game than that. I still don't think it's a 10/10 masterpiece, but... I never thought Elden Ring was either. (¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Let the people have their hype, I suppose. If they weren't so salty when you politely disagree...) For sure I'm getting my 70 USD worth out of it, though. The new stuff is quite nice.