Nintendo Direct February 8th, 2023

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

As no doubt just about everybody predicted, we've got our February Direct.

This thread can be used to discuss the reveals after they're made, but if you want, feel free to leave predictions here as well.

Personally I'm only thinking of Tears of the Kingdom, but I don't think that will feature in this. I think it'll be in there, but only for a minute or so, perhaps to show a new trailer and announce a dedicated Direct some time soon (probably March?)

EDIT: If you wish to discuss rumours or leaks, please put them behind spoiler tags, since they ruin the experience for some. But anything that is just your prediction or hopes is fair game...no spoiler tags needed for that (unless somehow YOU are that 'uncle that works at Nintendo' that everyone's always talking about.)
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Ahh I don’t know what to expect (other than perhaps a specific release date for RF3 Special), but I’m excited :D Do you think it’s too soon to receive any news about Rear Sekai?
JustABeautifulGuy
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Honestly, at the moment I’m only expecting news about the new Zelda.

I’d love seeing farming sims appear out of nowhere just like in the last Direct but it all comes down to how busy the Direct is with the first party games and how ready the games are.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

They'll probably showcase the next wave of Fire Emblem Engage DLC somewhere in this. Other than that, I expect Tears of the Kingdom and the new Kirby remaster for 1st party stuff. Might be more Xenobalde 3 DLC stuff too.

I guess the only news I really want now is Silksong and uhhh, maybe the 2D-HD Dragon Quest III remake? I'm pretty content Switch gaming wise right now, though I would like the Dept. Heaven games rereleased on the the Japanese eShop to make their way over here again. The English scripts exist for all of them except Gloria Union, so its annoying that they're just being ignored. Knights in the Nightmare is one of my favorite games of all time and I'd like it to be accessible on modern consoles outside of Japan.

Also, remember Yokai Watch 4's localization? I sure do lmao.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Sounds like a lot of 3rd party games to me. Aside from Tears of the Kingdom, does Nintendo even have any more releases in the first half of the year...? Legit don't know. Guess we'll find out tomorrow! No expectations feels pretty good. :)
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So the only predictions I can safely say would be the following:

More gameplay on Kirby since his game comes out in a few weeks.
More gameplay on Cereza since that prequel comes out in a month.
Octopath Traveler 2 will probably have a trailer.
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom will be shown last with probably a Switch OLED that'll sell out the second preorders drop.
AloneInTheDark
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Seated! Really looking forward to it.

Not sure what to expect honestly, Pokemon Day is later this month so I'm guessing nothing related to Scarlet & Violet DLC for this Direct, like at most just a confirmation that it's happening, sort of a "tune in February 27th" type of deal.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've been debating bringing this up, as I think it's a rumour, not a fact. It's going around the gaming world as though it IS a fact, but I haven't been able to find any real proof (as in, anything directly from Nintendo.) It's not a game rumour, though, it's more of a Nintendo-wide rumour.
Spoiler:
It's not anything complicated. It's just that Nintendo has little to no games for the second half of 2023. The rumour is that that's why they're not going to be at E3 (that part is fact, as far as I know: that Nintendo won't be at E3 in 2023.) Speculation about why Nintendo's line-up is so thin seems to be leaning toward the idea that Nintendo will launch a new console in 2024, so they're transitioning away from Switch games.

Certainly not impossible, but even though all the sites I looked at acted as though this 'very thin line-up for latter half of 2023' thing was a proven fact, and I haven't been able to find any actual proof of it, such as anyone revealing exactly where this information came from.
Anyway, you know what Nintendo COULD do, probably even if that rumour were true, to generate fresh revenue? MORE DLC for their big-ticket games. This is my completely crackpot not-really-a-prediction. They could, say...create an UNDERWATER TOWN in Animal Crossing! Let us build a whole new town under the waves, with a dozen new NPCs, new flowers and trees...etc. Or even add that to the surface: new trees and new flowers and new terrain options. I mean, if I actually start thinking about it, the ideas just bubble out like crazy. They could do something experimental as DLC.

Or they could always release something for Smash. (-____-) Not that I want Smash to ever be brought up again, but it's an example of an evergreen Nintendo title, like ACNH. Or release new courses for Mario Kart.

They are not, of course, going to do these things. But it'd be fun if they did. I never quite understand why Nintendo (and dev companies in general) doesn't milk what they've got a bit more, with more unique and interesting DLC for their biggest-ticket games. DLC that does come out is always so lackluster, ime. DLC is frustrating when thinking about content longevity, but I don't think Nintendo cares about that anyway, so...
K8sMum
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Nintendo is going to Nintendo. They often seem to be totally unaware of what players want. If they are aware, they just don't seem to care. I'm a bit tired of their coy-ness about every title, dribbling info at a snail's pace. And Kikki is right: Ninty drops the ball on existing titles that have so much possibility along with a devoted fan base.

Tbh, my favourite recent game has been Harvestella. It ticked all the boxes for me: good game play, excellent writing and story telling, great look. It kept me interested enough to finish it. For me it was worth the price.

It will be interesting to see what they bring to the Direct, but I honestly don't have expectations. They're going to present what they present. It's Nintendo.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

It won't stop people in chat from asking, but I would bet money we won't see anything Smash related since Sakurai stepped down from it. And good riddance, the poor man worked himself to collapse over it. As soon as "Switch 2" rears its ugly head...Smash will be the first question, though.

DLC would be a nice surprise. And probably a good way to spend resources if the Switch IS in its winding down period. So would a new Mario game (Odyssey 2, anyway). Platformers aren't my preferred genre, but they're fun. And Mario hasn't even gotten a game announced, unlike Zelda. :|

We shall see! This is definitely going to be a very telling direct... whatever the case. Aside from Tears of the Kingdom the door is pretty wide open. The next question is who will be streaming it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

A lot of Nintendo consoles launch with a new Zelda. That doesn't seem likely to happen with the 'Switch 2' given that we've got TotK releasing May 12th, so I suspect that when it does eventually get here, it's going to launch with a new Animal Crossing and/or Mario Kart 9, as well as another Mario game, and no doubt there'll be a Pokemon game in the new console's first year, whenever it comes, since Pokemon is pretty much a sure thing some time every year. Not so sure about Smash, but even that bunch is enough system-sellers to get things started well, imo. And while we do seem to know for sure that Nintendo won't be at E3 this year, I couldn't find anything other than insider speculation about Nintendo's 2023 line-up, so I'm just shrugging it off as a speculative rumour for now. Obviously we WILL get a new console some day, but I wouldn't want to place any bets as to when, especially with potential parts shortages.

I do think we're going to get a new Animal Crossing pretty soon after the next console comes out, though. I don't think we'll have to wait three years, like with did with ACNH. Just my hunch, though, and absolutely nothign to do with today's Direct. We're not getting anything AC today, let alone a new console announcement, lol.

I think it'll be fun no matter what, though. Nintendo's presentations are always full of cute and colourful things, so they're always nice to watch, ime, even when there are no games I want for myself (which is very frequently the case.)

Just...show me at least one adorable thing, Nintendo. Make me go either 'aww' or 'ooh' at least once, and we're cool.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I feel it… it’s the year of Rhythm Tengoku. Also, Mario & Luigi.

More realistically, I’m guessing one or two DLCs, release dates or info for Pikmin and Advance Wars, if we’re lucky we’ll see Metroid Prime. I’m hoping for a look at SoSAWL, RF3S, and HM Winds of Anthos. If I’m good, they may mention Shepherd’s Crossing.

I’ll be commuting home from work during the direct, so I’ll get to see the aftermath when I get home!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Okay, this Direct becamse pretty cool for me very early on. Am writing down my reactions as they come up or I'll forget it all! I didn't think they were going to snow a sneak peek of Wave 4, and that was
Spoiler:
ALVIS, wasn't it??? Alvis was my favourite character from the first game. I was always very unsatisfied with how unexplained much of his existence was. Plus...Ontos. How did that go, exactly? I do love when they connect the games...makes them feel so much deeper. I'm now monstrously excited for Wave 4, though it confuses me as to how this is the future of the series when it's supposed to no longer have anythign to do with Klaus' experiment. I guess that could work, and I've got ideas, but I was expecting no connection at all. Funny thing, I actually joked with a friend about a new game or DLC starring Alvis...wanted it so much I figured it could never happen.

I've also always wanted to try Ghost Trick, so that it's getting an HD port is pretty cool.

I also love the art style of that Bayonetta game, whatever it is, though I'm not actually interested in playing it. I enjoyed looking at it!

The Harmony game seems interesting, too. Sea of Stars seems okay...very happy a demo is releasing! And today, at that. Will grab it shortly.

Happy about the Etrian Odyssey pack, too, though I'm not all that interested in anything but the 'Untold' EO games. What I really like is that this means EO works on Switch now (it used to be dependent on two screens) so a NEW game may be up soon, and maybe a third Untold version could happen.

Rain Code...maybe? Need to watch that again, was distracted by texts from family. Baiten Kaitos, um...maybe? Nice colours!

SHRIEEEEEK FANTASY LIIIIIFE! NEW NEW NEW! Holy « Puppy Doodoo » holy « Puppy Doodoo »!

Not interested in Layton but I bet plenty of others are!

Tears of the Kingdom looks amazing (and the graphics are somehow...sharper?) and hasn't been delayed! I think we're safe to get it on May 12th :)
Anyway, it was fun for me! Lots I was very interested to see. I love that they shadow-dropped those demos. What was it, three of them? I'm a huge fan of demos in general. (I wish ALL games had them. I know a few games really don't lend themselves to demos, but overall I think most really should. I refuse to continue wasting money on games I'll never play so if in doubt, I buy less and less, now. The only way I'll end up with most of the games on my list is if they have demos.)

It was really enjoyably surprising. :)
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Well that was...incredible? I don't know how many games I'll buy but there's TONS I'm interested in. I thought Level 5 was done with games in the west? They came back with a vengeance. :o « Harvest Goddess » damn.

RPG direct for sure, but a pretty broad spectrum even then.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

AHAHDYAYAUAUHAHAUAYAUAHAH OH MY GOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WAS NOT EXPECTING TO SEE WHAT I SAW. I screamed so loudly 😂
Spoiler:
My cousin (who’s in Indonesia) and I watched the direct together. So when the announcement about Fantasy Life came up, I was like “Okay, a new fantasy life game but no Professor Layton???” And then the very next second I was screaming and I called my cousin and we screamed 😂
Last edited by FarmingForDaysMan on Feb 08, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.