Games that need a sequel

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hey guys,

What games do you know of that really need a SEQUEL? Or a spin-off, if, say, you've always been hankering for an Animal Crossing shoot'em up, or a Super Mario Bros life-sim, or a Witcher rhythm game.

~

I want a sequel to Jenny LeClue - Detectivu. (Which should in actual fact be underway already; and it's less a sequel and more a of a continuation, as Jenny LeClue ended mid-story.) It's honestly startlingly good for a little indie from a team that has never done any other game, and is, in fact, not really a team, but either just a single man, or perhaps a married couple. Nice graphics, good story, modern without being preachy, better-than-average gameplay for a point-and-click, and everything is voice-acted! I'm still astonished that I'm even capable of enjoying a point-and-click adventure story at this point in my life, but Jenny LeClue made me want a continuation immediately, so obviously I was having fun.

I'd also really like a sequel to Battle Chef Brigade, which was Match-3/tetris + RPG + lite action platformer, and also voice acted with very unique graphics that felt, somehow, French. (I don't know how to explain that, just...sort of like a French art poster.)

I would like Etrian Odyssey Untold 3. I like the classic EO gameplay, but not enough to deal with the turn-based combat without the additional attraction of a stronger story and actual characters, such as the Untold versions of the games have. (Regular EO games don't really have stories, except that you need to get to the top of the world tree or the bottom of the dungeon or whatever, to defeat the ultimate evil. Not really a story, in my books...just the framework of a story.)

I'd also like a continuation of Xenoblade Chronicles X, but I think I don't even have to mention that at this point. Everyone who ever visits the Other Video Games board already knows I want more XCX. I probably also don't need to say that I really, REALLY want Dragon Quest Builders 3. C'mon, game world! I've tried Minecraft and it just isn't fun. It doesn't cut it! I need more DQB!

I also wish they'd hurry up and say something about Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 7 (NOT a spin-off/prequel like Great Ace Attorney, but the next game in the mainline series...whatever would follow AA6, which was Spirit of Justice.)

We're also already getting a sequel to Fantasy Life, so woo, there's one down! Also we got a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild, which may not please some, but works for me. I really just wanted more BotW specifically, so from what we know so far, TotK is looking great for me. (Though I suspect it may be more story driven and thus more linear...hard to say at this point! I'd be fine with that anyway; it's the exploration that made BotW so fun for me.)
AloneInTheDark
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Really fun topic, Kikki! I don't have a lot of experience with most of these franchises but I'm with you with hoping for news for the next Ace Attorney. As long as it's happening, I'll be happy, but I'll be especially happy if we get to see Franziska again, that's my girl! Gumshoe also, really miss that guy. I'm curious about DQB also, I love the original series, so!

As for games I'd like to see get another entry in the series, for starters I'd love something new for the Dept. Heaven series. Sting loves releasing remasters and ports but there's a gap left open for Episode 3, I'd especially like something similar to either Riviera or Yggdra Union. Knights in the Nightmare wasn't a personal favorite; gorgeous game, but I prefer when my cast has development that lasts for more than a handful of lines.

That being said, I'm not against remasters! Onion Games has talked about the possibility of a Rule of Rose remaster and I'd love to see that happen someday. Still has one of my favorite OSTs of all time and I'd love for more people to get the chance to experience it. Hopefully with some tweaks to the gameplay though, it was... hard to play at times.

Most of the franchises I'd like to see get something new are old and unlikely; like Rival Schools, Space Channel, Clock Tower, Luminous Arc, mainline Tokimeki Memorial, Hotel Dusk, the Ivalice games, etc. You never know, though, I suppose!
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I’ve been keeping an eye out for AA7, as well :shifty:

The one sequel I’ve wanted for most of my gaming life has been MySims Agents 2. I haven’t played of the MySims games in years (I’m not even sure that I still have MySims Kingdom), but I loved the series and was devastated as a…what, 8, 9, 10, or however-young-I-was child when I learned that MySims Agents 2 had been scrapped (especially after learning that Evelyn’s twin sister was going to be named Madison xD).

Also I’d totally be up for a sequel to Hometown Story, though I’m not sure what that would look like? Maybe Sue would surprise us all and manage to RESURRECT HARVEY AHAHAHA—ahem, just kidding. Or maybe we’d finally unravel the secret of the locked doors. Like, what’s behind the locked door in mY oWn gOsH dARn HoUSE—

anywayssssssss these are the only three desired sequels that I can think of at the moment.
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Unpacking, HANDS DOWN. I already replayed it like 3 times... I absolutely NEED more chapters!!
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Threads of Fate.

It's an old favorite of mine, but it's honestly a hidden gem many would enjoy. It's PSOne 3D platformer that focuses more on combat and its JRPG storyline. Two playable characters with intertwining plots, two unique playstyles, two different endings that unlock a hidden ending with a sequel hook that never came to be.

It was unfortunately sent out to die being released next to Chrono Cross, so a lot of people have never even head of this obscure Squaresoft game. Regardless, I love it and have replayed it more times than I could count. I wish there was more adventures with Mint and Rue.

Side note: there is a fanmade sequel, which is cool, but not really what I'm wanting. Square Enix has been resurrecting a lot of their old franshises and IPs lately, so I'm still holding out hope!
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Super Mario RPG, or Mario & Luigi... which seem obvious, but both are highly unlikely. ;_; I like the Paper Mario series, but they do keep drifting away from that formula. Those all scratch a particular itch very hard, and I find that more complex modern RPGs aren't quite as good for me.

AloneInTheDark, you hit on some really good ones. My partner and I were just talking about the Luminous Arc games last week, and we were both huge fans of Riviera (I also liked Yggdra Union... weird that those got ported/rereleased so hard for a minute, then disappeared). I am always hopeful for a Space Channel 5 revival, too. Was kinda bummed by the more recent VR version, since it isn't something I'd play. I love rhythm games, so I'll throw in Parappa/Lammy and another Ouendan sequel into the pile, too. I'd play any of those immediately.

"Sequel" is maybe the wrong term, and "remake" is also straight up inaccurate, but I'm surprised Falcom hasn't announced a new Ys V yet, it's the only missing number from the modern games. But Ys X is coming out, so I'm just being greedy. I wonder if they'll give the remake/replacement treatment for I&II sometime soon, as those are real remakes and a bit dated compared to the rest.

I'd also be up for Phantasy Star V at any time. Weirdly, I wouldn't be surprised if that did come out, though it would probably be more like an action version of PSO. Which... would just be Phantasy Star Zero, but I played a lot of that as well, and I'd play a lot of Zero Two if that existed as well.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

My mindset with sequels is it has to be what the devs want. If they don't have more ideas to explore in that particular genre, in that particular story, don't do it. Waste of time, waste of money. Every story has to end at some point, and I am much happier with a shorter, higher quality thing I can come back to again and again.

To that end, I finally thought of a sequel I want! I want more from the Outer Wilds devs! Doesn't have to be set in space, doesn't have to be exactly the same thing, if I could ask for anything it would be more knowledge based experience systems. (eg Your character doesn't level up, YOU do.) It's not the most replayable, barely at all, really, but it plays to the medium of 'video game' better than most things.

In a more generic sense, another Subnautica style game would be awesome. The first game was wildly creative but technically a catastrophe, the second game was not as much of a step forward as fans were wanting, but it was technically sound (compared to the first). Kinda a My Time at Portia vs My Time at Sandrock situation? Now I wanna see where we go from here. What's next?
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikodesu wrote: Mar 20, 2023 9:39 pmMy mindset with sequels is it has to be what the devs want. If they don't have more ideas to explore in that particular genre, in that particular story, don't do it. Waste of time, waste of money. Every story has to end at some point, and I am much happier with a shorter, higher quality thing I can come back to again and again.
This is true; series often have a best-before date, and the expiry tends to be when the dev team isn't into it any more. It's like TV series that are stretched out too long and get more ridiculous and cheap every season because the writers are grasping for storylines or further character development after they've already explored everything worth exploring. However, I do think there are situations where a sequel is essentially required, to the point where if they don't make it, they basically shouldn't have made a game in the first place. Jenny LeClue is one of those situations, because that game isn't really even a full game....it's 'part 1' of a game. The first half, I assume. I was actually quite annoyed when I finished the game, because it ends on a cliffhanger, right in the middle of the crux of things, with no resolution. I might not have bought it if I'd known. I certainly wasn't cheated on price, but I don't like a surprise non-ending. I'd rather have waited until the 'sequel' was out.

But it's also why I don't think we'll get a sequel to Battle Chef Brigade. I don't think the devs have any intention of making a sequel to it. I think they want to move on to something else (no idea if they're actually working on that...I think they've said they are but that was years ago so I don't know what happened.) I don't really want a continuation of that specific game, just another game with that type of gameplay. It was really amazing to have this game that was partly a blend of tetris/match-3 type gameplay, PLUS RPG, plus action platformer, plus experimental cooking game. (You made recipes from monster parts and foraged items like fruit/etc. Each ingredient had a set number of element orbs. You have to match orbs, and they'll combine into a single orb of a higher level. You can match those higher-level orbs as well, to get an even higher level ingredient, all of different elements. The ingredients you put in will determine what dish comes out, and what comments you'll get from the judges. Even the same dish can get different comments if you leaned more into fire element than water with one than the other.)

It was extremely unique and it's a shame I can't get anything anywhere near to it anywhere else. I don't care about that specific story, and the characters were fun but I don't require them specifically, either. But it's too bad there aren't any other games like this anywhere cuz it was really fun and replaying loses charm sooner or later no matter how much you like a game.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Avalon Code, and old DS game. Really loved the game and it's mechanics. Unfortunately I was never able to finish the game as near the end it had a level where you had to jump logs in some hallway full of pits, and I just can't do those kinds of game levels. Did all the fighting fine, crafting, etc., but that one level that they just had to add to the game ended it for me. So anyway I'd like to see a sequel to the game, though without a platformer level randomly added to it.

Lunar Legend, and old GBA game. Would love to see a sequel, though I would want the US version without the censoring this time around.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

LeBurns wrote: Mar 27, 2023 4:55 am Avalon Code, and old DS game. Really loved the game and it's mechanics. Unfortunately I was never able to finish the game as near the end it had a level where you had to jump logs in some hallway full of pits, and I just can't do those kinds of game levels. Did all the fighting fine, crafting, etc., but that one level that they just had to add to the game ended it for me. So anyway I'd like to see a sequel to the game, though without a platformer level randomly added to it.
+1 for Avalon Code. I played this game like it was my religion for around four years. It's definitely one those games that was specifically designed to capitalize on the DS and all it's quirky features. It's... rough, especially by today's standards. The story is good, the characters are decent, but the gameplay has aged really poorly. A full on sequel would be fantastic, and the game itself is fully set up for one (the game literally cold opens with your MC being told the current world is ending and if their job to collect things to create the new one). You could even preview the next world in post game depending on how you wanted it to be (you did so by adding and subtracting elements on a slide puzzle). I remember even priming a fanfic back in the day for the new world but never got around to writing it lol.
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm obsessed with Graveyard Keeper! At first it seems just a weird game of buying corpses, but there's SO MUCH to do, and there's absolutely no rush to do anything. It's basically a really chill Stardew Valley. I've seen people at the Steam community asking for a second one, because it ends... and I wish there was a sequel as well!!
Sir Stardust
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I’d like a sequel to Super Princess Peach that finally closes out Perry’s story. You’ve no idea the depths of disappointment I felt when you never got a conclusion to his and his grandfather’s story. I even specifically saved up for the expensive post-game item and completed everything 100% just to make sure. Do Perry and his grandfather ever get reunited?! Is Perry ever turned back from a parasol?! How could Nintendo leave it without a resolution like that? ;o;
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Sir Stardust wrote: May 13, 2023 5:42 pm I’d like a sequel to Super Princess Peach that finally closes out Perry’s story. You’ve no idea the depths of disappointment I felt when you never got a conclusion to his and his grandfather’s story. I even specifically saved up for the expensive post-game item and completed everything 100% just to make sure. Do Perry and his grandfather ever get reunited?! Is Perry ever turned back from a parasol?! How could Nintendo leave it without a resolution like that? ;o;
I TOTALLY AGREE. Honestly, I’d almost forgotten about Super Princess Peach but who can forget that soundtrack 😂