Marvelous Showcase Highlights (New Story of Seasons Announced)

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
JustABeautifulGuy
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Marvelous revealed information regarding the next Story of Seasons titles in their showcase today. They are developing two titles at the moment. One is the upcoming game and the other one is a multiplayer game.

Story of Seasons Next Mainline Game
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
- The game is currently under heavy development
- Will preserve all the cherished elements of the series
- More effort will be put into the visual presentation of your farm and the surrounding environments

Story of Seasons New Multiplayer Game
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
- A brand new direction for the series
- A game you can play with everyone and your friends

Two new Rune Factory games were announced too, one being Rune Factory: Project Dragon and the other one being Rune Factory 6.
Both games will take new directions for the game, here are some stills from RF: Project Dragon.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImage
Sir Stardust
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Oh dear. AWL hasn’t even come out overseas yet. I hope this doesn’t turn into over-saturation and franchise fatigue. Hopefully everything will be staggered/different enough.
Terranigma Freak
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Sir Stardust wrote: May 25, 2023 4:42 pm Oh dear. AWL hasn’t even come out overseas yet. I hope this doesn’t turn into over-saturation and franchise fatigue. Hopefully everything will be staggered/different enough.
This.

I do think they're making games too quickly. Let the games cook and flesh out the ideas some more.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Just saw the showcase. It was shorter than I thought it would be, but pretty good I guess.

I'll start off with my thoughts on Loop 8. I haven't paid much attention to this game until the video and just found out it's a coming of age rpg. I thought it was more akin to a visual novel when I first heard about it. Anyway, it looks kind of interesting. It's not an instant buy for me, but something I may get down the line. I really love the art in the game.

For me though, the main things for this showcase was of course Story of Seasons. With playing PoOT recently, I've been thinking about what new game Marvelous might be making that wasn't a remake. Honestly, I don't have much to say on either games. They didn't show a lot. I will say, the mainline game looks good from what we saw. Though we didn't get a look at any people, I the animals were super cute. I like how they are also going to cherish the elements of the former games, but put effort into how the presentation looks. While PoOT doesn't look bad, it's definitely lacking for me compared to others games. As for the new multiplayer game, I have very little interest in it. I mean, if it's good and doesn't require an internet connection, I might try it. However, I feel like the whole point of a farming game is to relax and build up your farm. Maybe I sound old fashioned, but it's hard for me to like multiplayer farming games (though I admit, I'm not a multiplayer fan anyway). Still, I get why people like it and do hope they do a good job with it. I am also praying they do a good job with the mainline Story of Seasons game as well. I feel like the last game was lacking a bit despite me enjoying it.

As for Rune Factory, I will say it's a bit exciting. I still have to play and beat Rune Factory 5, but from what I've played of it, I do see why people love the series. With the more Eastern style Rune Factory game, it looks really cool. I admit, when first seeing it, I wasn't sure how it was a Rune Factory game because it didn't have the same feel to the other games. I then realized how Marverlous said they were working on a different kind of Rune Factory game and understood this was it. Anyway, it looks interesting and maybe is something I'll try. It depends on what they do with it. Can't make much of a comment on Rune Factory 6 since they didn't show anything. I really wished they gave us some info about the game. The logo looks nice though. Well, this is hopefully making fans happy since it does confirm Rune Factory 6 is being made. I'm assuming the spin off Rune Factory will be out first though.

Outside of the things I mentioned, we got a look at some art for another game they are doing. The art for this game is being done by the artist for fairy tale. Not sure what it's suppose to be though . A farming game? Rpg? Both? They didn't go into much detail. All I can say is that the two characters that we see look exactly like the protagonists from Fairy Tale. I wish they looked a little more unique honestly. Also, we got a lot at some mecha game I believe. Not sure what to think of that either.

Anyway, this showcase was fine. It's good to see another Story of Seasons game being made, along with Rune Factory 6. For me, I'm most interested in both Rune Factories, the mainline Story of Seasons, and maybe Loop 8. My only wish for the showcase was that they showed more of the games. Still, what we got was fine.
infel
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Sir Stardust wrote: May 25, 2023 4:42 pm Oh dear. AWL hasn’t even come out overseas yet. I hope this doesn’t turn into over-saturation and franchise fatigue. Hopefully everything will be staggered/different enough.

I'm not too worried for the mainline Story of Seasons game or the Rune factory games. These two franchises seem to be worked on by two different teams. Also, the the mainline Story of Seasons game and Rune Factory 6 don't look they they'll be out anytime soon, especially Rune Factory 6. Still, I do see the concern and I could easily be wrong.

I do worry about the Story of Seasons multiplayer game though. This seems to be a first for them and I worry that it'll either affect the other games badly, or even hurt the development for the multiplayer game.

Can't say much on the other stuff though. I do hope they aren't stretching themsevles too thin.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It bothers me that it feels like they're trying to reset the series back 25 years. I want them to take off from where they left things with Trio of Towns, not go way back to the beginning. No other Bokumono game has had the dialogue or interactivity that Trio had, it made the towns and characters feel so much better. That they think they have to go all in on visuals, to me, means they're missing the point. The characters and the world are more important than the graphics. Pretty graphics are really nice but it's memorable, lovable characters and fun farming/ranching mechanics that really make the games shine, imo.

The animals look cute, but so far not overly sold on the looks, as I feel that characters in that style are going to be a babyish sort of cute that I won't be into. Guess we'll see, though maybe not soon, since it seems like the game may still have quite a while to go...not expected this year, at least.

What we saw of Rune Factory was...odd, for me. Looked like Genshin. (Which itself looks sort of like anime BotW.) I'm more interested so far in RF6, even though we saw no footage, than in the spin-off.

I feel like that presentation left me with more questions than ever. The thing I was left most interested in was Loop 8, lol, which I previously had no interest in but will now add to my wishlist so I can keep an eye on it. Well, when I CAN add it, at least.
Last edited by Kikki on May 25, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malon212
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

I thought the opposite since multiplayer just had concept art while next SOS had screenshots
Shortybread
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

What a great showcase, I liked everything that I saw! :)
We got WAY more than I was expecting, honestly. I thought the most we would get for RF and SoS would be a logo (which we did get for RF6) - actual footage is more than I had hoped!! I'm not really worried about burnout/overload just yet, as Marvelous seems to not mind announcing projects well before release. RF5 was announced aroung 3 years before it came out in the West, I think? RF : Project Dragon would be my guess for the nearest release of the SoS/RF reveals we saw today, and I would guess it won't be until sometime next year at the earliest. Word dump in a spoiler, because I have a feeling I'm going to ramble a bit --
Spoiler:
Fashion Dreamer looks so cute, and I love the clothes we've seen so far. I'm glad that they've opened up the option to play as a male MC, and seem to be dedicating more thought and attention to men's fashion. It's always been so lacking in the Style Savvy games, but that white jacket on the guy in the footage looked super cool!! I'm still a bit confused as to what direction the gameplay is gonna go, but I'm keeping a close eye on it regardless.

The concept art shown for Project Life is RPG is sooo pretty, and the silhouette on the logo looks great too. I want more info right away, but it'll probably be a while yet. :lol: It's been a while since I've really dove into a new JRPG, so I'm very intrigued!!

TWO new Story of Seasons games?? What I'm presuming to be the next mainline title looks so pretty, and the little details with the changing of the seasons was very cute. :) I know it was divisive, but I did actually enjoy Pioneers quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to see what they have planned for this next game and can't wait to hear more!! I always get ten times more excited for a game once I've seen some of the character designs, so I'm sure my excitement will be reinvigorated whenever they decide to share those with us~
And, I'm interested what form this Multiplayer title is going to take? I don't play a ton of multiplayer, but I am interested to see what they do just based on the concept art. It was cute seeing the different protags together. The art of them at the river has little cabins in the background it looks like, and I wonder if those are the houses of the different players? Gives a sort of summer camp feel to me. :)

And Rune Factory ahhhhh!!! :heart:
The logo for RF6 is so beautiful — it has a water themed feeling to me, which I adore. The colors also made me think of Beatrice's color scheme, so I wonder if that's a coincidence or if there's some correlation there.

Project Dragon looks so different from the RF we usually see, I was baffled for the first chunk of the trailer. :shock: It looks super cool!! I'm most interested to see what they have planned for gameplay, as I didn't see any traditional farming. They said the MC is an Earthmate still, and we saw the guy growing some trees, so I'm sure it enters into the game in some form, but I'm curious to see how.
It definitely made me think of Genshin, like Kikki said, but it was really pretty! I don't mind them going with a different art style for spin-offs as long as the original RF style is still in tact for the mainline games.

Also, Daemon X Machina!! I didn't get very far in the first one, unfortunately, but still exciting!
JustABeautifulGuy
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I am kinda confused too. This series' direction is all over the place to me. The new title they've teased seems like they're picking right off where they left PoOT and I don't like that. I just don't get why they would do that when that title specially was so heavily criticized. I'm not too much into graphics but even when it is the focus, it's weird how it doesn't feel like an upgrade from SoS:AWL at all to me. Moreover, I can already feel the weird PoOT character models haunting me. Hopefully they add some nice portraits similar to the 3DS era this time so I don't have to look at the lifeless chibi models. I just hope they do well with gameplay at this point. One thing is good though, there seems to be no remakes in the near future. I guess I just need to process it all lol.

Not many thoughts on the new multiplayer game since there seems to be very less information. If it has classic offline gameplay alongside multiplayer, then I'm in. Otherwise, not too sold on it. They did say this is their "ambitious" project.

The new Rune Factory spin off looks really good imo, even though it doesn't really feel like a Rune Factory game. I'm definitely gonna play it, kinda found it funny how they confirmed the romance elements twice lol. Can't tell if Hakama is on this one or not. Atleast I'm not too worried about RF6, the spin off itself looks very good and fun.
Poppyseed
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Tentatively excited. I haven’t bought a new SoS game since ToT, so hopefully this new one will catch my interest.

As for RF…I wasn’t the biggest fan of 5, so hopefully the spin-off (and 6) will be more up my alley.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I feel like they showed us stuff way too early. The Bokumono multiplayer game seems like it's in the earliest stages, and RF6 is perhaps in the same condition. I'm guessing the new SoS game is half done at best, and perhaps that RF spin-off as well. I don't think we're getting ANY of those games in 2023.

I'm going to have to see a lot more before I'll know how to feel. Conflicted is all I can go with, based on what we got today. Even the one they showed the most of, of the 4 (RF: Dragon Project) left me unsure.

I had no idea Daemon x Machina did well enough to warrant another game, but it was pretty obvious from the first few frames that that's what it was. Nooooooo interest in mechs from me, though. I've never understood the interest in mecha/robots. Androids or AI, maybe...machines that are more human...but not pure hunks of machinery. I guess Marv JP is doing well, though, that they can afford to run so many dev teams. I hope continually cranking out more Bokumono, more RF, etc, doesn't get boring for them, though. A bored dev team produces boring, lifeless games, I feel.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I thought it was a little odd they decided to do two games for each series, though I guess they had suggested that already for Rune Factory. I am interested in seeing more for both of those. I am kind of dreading the new SoS "mainline" game. That clip they kept showing over and over just looked like Olive Town to me. :mrgreen: No thank-you! Hope I am wrong. I am intrigued by the multiplayer concept if they actually get a system that works well. They didn't really show anything but sketches for that though.
FarmingForDaysMan
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

YALL. YaLL. Look at the artwork for the SoS multiplayer game! There’s Kasey (AP), Kevin (ToT), Claire (I think?), and Holly (Trio of Towns). Do you think they’re just character outfits, or might we see fellow farmers from previous entries? All of these announcements are very exciting :3
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Thanks for sharing!

I'm actually really curious to see what they'll do with a multiplayer Bokumono. Question is, will it be an MMO, or a mobile game? "Play with everyone" makes me think that it's something focused on playing with strangers... or at least around strangers. We shall see.

It's WAY too early to be excited about anything for me, but I won't write the games off either. Let's see what you can do, Marvelous. :D
StormFire
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I, for one, am super excited for more farming sim games. The only aspect I didn’t like about PooT was the insane amount of makers needed, and I loved Trio of Towns as well but I guess I like the simplicity that they’re trying to go back to. Loved the screenshots. Rune Factory 6 is a dream come true too. :) I am just so hyped. I was personally hoping for a remake of Magical Melody but I mean, we are barely getting A Wonderful Life overseas. Multiplayer Story of Seasons sounds right up my alley since I have some friends irl that play too.