Marvelous Showcase Highlights (New Story of Seasons Announced)

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
simside
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

WOW, this was also a lot more than I was expecting. I'm also wondering if any of it will be released anytime soon. Maybe Project Dragon in 2024? Kinda looking forward to that, though I'm also a little worried it'll head into generic JRPG territory.

Little worried about the "visual presentation!" comment for SoS. ^_^; I know there are a lot of folks that are loud about specific things in graphics... but I'll probably nope out for 3D, and I'd rather see them build plot and characters to make the games more immersive. Not too worried, as I still need to play Doraemon and there are still RF3S and the AWL remake to play first, and I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy those.

Gotta say, not into the multiplayer game! But we'll see.
midnighttherabbit
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Wow, I'm surprised as well!

I like the art they used for the multiplayer game announcement since it really reminds me of the older games, but it's probably not something I'm interested in. I'm hoping it's not going to be an online game full of microtransactions at least.

I know AWL has been out for a while now in Japan but it still feels very soon to be showing footage for a new game. PoOT definitely felt like it could've done with more development time.

Same thoughts for RF. I didn't really enjoy RF5 but I know a lot of concessions had to be made while making the game. Hopefully this time around they'll have more time / resources and will be able to improve it. I'm kind of interested in what the spinoff could be, though.
JustABeautifulGuy
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Reading Youtube comments from the Japanese players on the showcase, I didn't know they had the same complaints as us :lol: Looks like they didn't like PoOT's artstyle too and actually seem to be wanting 3DS era style back? They seem to want standing pictures (2D portraits) back the most and there are some comments saying they want more marriageable candidates, better conservations, better storyline and better character designs.

I do wonder what Rear Sekai was then, if Rune Factory Project Dragon was the spin off.

I think they did end up revealing most of this info way too early just to create some attention for their showcase. If I had to predict the release order, it'd probably be RF PD - SoS6 - RF6 - SoSMP.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm oddly more excited for the multiplayer game than a new mainline. Well, I guess 'oddly' is a bad word to describe my feelings after how badly I was burned on PoOT. Marvelous has more recently shown they're good at making remakes over new games, and I guess I'm just more intrigued by an online game that'll most likely follow an update schedule like other live service games. So « Snuggly Bunny » help me if it's mobile only though, I'm sick of it.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I wonder if the multiplayer thing will be like Stardew. With modes. We can control. Like the fact that players can share money and such. This has my curiosity.

The mainline SoS does look pretty. Though it’s early for me to fully judge it. Same for Project Dragon. RF6, I’m just glad the series isn’t completely dead.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Now I'm imagining the multiplayer SoS as Smash Bros, lol. All the farmers (default MCs) of past games will be your pantheon of heroes, which you can choose from to be your avatar in the game, and you get into a massive hoedown. (Or perhaps this should be a hoesup?) Plough, seed, water and fertilize in competition with other farmers! Farming battle! Well, whatever it is, I hope it's something fans of multiplayer will enjoy. Multiplayer just makes me tense and uncomfortable so it won't be for me no matter what it is.

Feels like Marv JP now wants to make clear that everything that used to be called Harvest Moon is and always was theirs, not anybody else's. But I don't want them to return to the past for that. I wish they'd do a poll or something, on people's favourite features from past games. I feel like they tend to get it wrong when they try to figure out what fans loved about their favourite entries in the series. What they think we liked about the games often isn't what we actually cared about. And I feel like they're not going to benefit much from all the feedback they got from Olive Town if what they took out of it was that they need to focus on better graphics. The graphics of Olive Town were fine. Performance was stinky to begin with, but the graphics were fine, though YMMV on character design, as always was and ever will be.

As for portraits...I tend to like them, but they're not necessary if you have your 3D models emoting well. But if your 3D models are wooden and unsmiling, if their expressions never change, or if they just all look the same as every other character in their expressions, then you need the portraits to give them a personality...to show how they smile and when they smile, what they look like when they frown, blush, etc. Too much depth of personality is lost if characters have no expression specific to themselves.

We didn't get any peek at them this time, though, so I guess that's still completely under wraps. Character design tends to be the most contentious point of all, at least in the pre-release period, more than overall graphic style.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Honestly as long as the characters aren’t stiff and does more I’m happy. « Harvest Goddess » please let the players kid age and do more.
greensara
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

I hope they don't have the disappearing child again. If everyone has magic babies, be consistent and make them stay. If they want to do divorce, do like Stardew or Portia and just have a child cap. Then you won't have to worry about having a child with everyone in town. Really don't want another Olive Town, please!
XxWizardxMollyxX14
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hmmmm, I'm a little shy after the last Story of Seasons game, but I am absolutely willing and able to give more than one chance to a game series (especially one that I love) for having a "dud" every now and again... as long as it's a very rare occurrence, that is. So, let's just say I am cautiously waiting for more information and details before really making up my mind.

All that said, I like the screenshots we've seen.

Project Dragon looks dope af, though! Very excited to hear more!
Mabbie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hummm.... I don't know. I want to have time to "savour" each game, not one on top of the other. I get overwhelmed pretty easily, and don't want to rush things because there is a new game and I want to try it.

As for the multiplayer, I do not care about it. I like to play by myself, and do things at my own pace.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

It does seem like the announcements are coming pretty fast, but it seems like they're pretty early in development so I think it'll be a while before we get more details on anything, except maybe the Rune Factory spin-off. I liked PoOT well enough and there hasn't really been a SoS game I didn't like, so I'm interested to see what they do next. Not in any rush though! I want them to take as long as they need. :)
Hikarie38
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Well, my first impression is - oh thank Harvest Goddess, so they a r e going to work on new games. I'm usually a loyal and an easy-to-please player (just want a nice farm and a wholesome pixel husband once every few years) but I was really struggling to enjoy PoOT. I really had high expectations after ToT - since Animal Parade I never really cared about villagers but I would take time to visit e v e r y o n e everyday in ToT. I was very disappointed with how bland everyone was in Olive Town (and brokenhearted because I couldn't marry Jacopo) and the makers got old pretty fast. And the ~~miracle~~ baby was weird.
I was starting to worry that BokuMono team is out of ideas and the series would meet a tragic end.

These images are very beautiful, that's true, but I hope one of the cherished features they mention is a decent amount of interesting characters with personalities and stories of their own. And please, they don't need to be robotic-nice and ridiculously good-looking, all having but one body type...

When it comes to the multiplayer game... well, I'm not very interested. I don't play games to socialize, especially with strangers, so if the whole point of the game was to team up to go forward I would probably pass. I don't mind the multiplayer feature if it's optional.

In the end all this is just wishes and speculations. I don't want to get excited before we get any real information on the storyline, mechanics and characters. But it's really interesting to read what everyone here has to say!
white66
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I'm not terribly excited for any of these. I don't know why Marvelous is kicking into high gear releasing so many titles in the same series at the same time when the last entries have been so lackluster.

The mainline game looks fine. I'm not enthusiastic about the attention to the 'visual presentation' of the farm being a selling point this earlier on. Sounds like it's borrowed from New Horizon's focus on aesthetics, which has gutted the actual immersion and depth of the game imo.

The visuals for Rune Factory Dragons are... awful. They're flat and dead and it looks like a Genshin knock-off. I don't know what I hate more: the hideous graphics from RF5 or this derivative nonsense.

I'm glad everyone else is excited. I don't think I can muster that this time around.
Meowie
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I expected to be more excited by this reveal, but it didn’t impress me much. Maybe I’m used to the Nintendo Direct format for first reveals now. At least they have set realistic expectations for me. The game looks nice and I like the seasonal changes but I want something more ambitious in terms of design. Funny how Natsume seems to be doing that with Winds of Anthos for me. I do wonder how much of this new title is done and whether if they started developing it right after PoOT or not. I am so lost on what team does what now; who is in charge of what now.

Anyway, the gameplay is what matters most in the end and I don't like that they're focusing more on the visuals. I am worried they missed the whole reason why PoOT received so much backlash.
RodCopper Fishin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I’m excited for so many new titles. The only game I won’t try is the multiplayer, since I just don’t do multiplayer stuff ever. I’m looking forward to learning more about the upcoming titles and just hope we don’t have to wait TOO long.