When you start your farm, Dunhill will give you a Sickle, Hoe, and Watering Can. You can use these tools to start growing crops in your fields. If you need duplicate tools, you can buy them from Hanna's general store for 60 G each. The rest of your tools will need to be given to you by other villagers or crafted in your workshop:
- The Milker, Pitchfork, and Brush will be given to you by Neil when he stops by your farm on Spring 9 to deliver a cow from Dunhill.
- When Iroha moves into the abandoned blacksmith shop on Spring 15, she will reward you with a Hammer and an Axe.
- Walk into the River area on Spring 20 to receive 5 Fish Traps from Dunhill.
- The blueprints for the Bell and the Stethoscope are bought from Rebecca when she arrives in town on Spring 25 and after you build her shop. Materials needed to construct a Bell are a Branch, 5 Moondrop Flowers, and 3 Copper. The Stethoscope is 3 Silver, 5 Copper, and 3 Glass Stone.
- On Summer 2 or later, walk back to the River area to get a Fishing Rod from Dunhill.
- After you have visited the Southern Island, Rebecca will add the blueprint for the Ice Drill to her inventory. The plan costs 800 G.
- The blueprint for the Clippers will be available for sale at Rebecca's shop the next business day after you buy a Sheep from Neil, which are not available until at least Fall of year 1 or once you have unlocked Yuri. Once you construct the Clippers using your studio, Neil will also sell the tool at his shop.
All of your tools will be in the Tools section of your rucksack. To equip a tool, press the Left Shoulder button on your 3DS to bring up the equipment ring menu. Press Left or Right on the directional pad to scroll through the tools you have inside your rucksack and then press A to equip the chosen one. Press A to use the equipped tool.
You can remove tools from your rucksack by placing them in the Toolbox that is inside of your farmhouse.
Once your farm workshop becomes available after Spring 25, you can start to upgrade your tools. For five of the main tools (Watering Can, Sickle, Hoe, Hammer, and Axe), raise your friendship with Iroha to start upgrading your tools. She will give you the blueprints that you'll need for the upgrades. Iroha's friendship is very easy to increase. You just need to give her the rocks you pick up in the Forest, River, or Mountain areas. Each rock is +300 towards her friendship level with you. The last set of blueprints will be handed over once you have her at 13,000 FP.
To upgrade your fishing pole, you will need to raise your friendship with Kosaboro the fisherman. He'll give you the blueprint for the Master Rod once his friendship level reaches 6000.
The blueprints for the Speedy Milker, Speedy Clippers, and Speedy Brush are festival prizes for winning first place in the contest-style festivals.
To upgrade the tool, use the blueprint in your workshop and combine the required materials together. You will need to use the tool in the plans for the upgraded version of itself.
- Watering Can, Sickle, and Hoe:
- ... to Copper: normal tool, 1 Small Lumber, and 5 Copper
- ... to Silver: copper tool, 1 Lumber, and 3 Silver
- ... to Gold: silver tool, 1 Lumber, 2 Gold
- ... to Ultra: gold tool, 1 Black Lumber, and 1 Diamond
- Hammer and Axe:
- ... to Iron: normal tool, 1 Small Lumber, 3 Copper, and 3 Iron
- ... to Ultra: iron tool, 1 Lumber, and 2 Platinum
- Fishing Rod:
- ... to Master Rod: Fishing Rod, 5 Bamboo, and 1 Orichalcum
- ... to Speedy Milker: Milker, 4 Glass Stone, and 1 Ruby
- ... to Speedy Clippers: Clippers, 4 Iron, and 1 Ruby
- ... to Speedy Brush: Brush, 3 Copper, 1 Brown Alpaca Wool
The Stethoscope, Bell, Fish Trap, Ice Drill, and Pitchfork don't have upgraded levels.