Besides the marriage candidates, there are a variety of villagers that you'll meet in each of the three towns:
- Details about the Westown Villagers
- Details about the Tsuyukusa villagers
- Details about the Lulukoko villagers
Some of the villagers have character portraits and some villagers are random, faceless characters. The villagers who have portraits appear when you talk to them will accept gifts and have a friendship level that you can see inside your farm house bookshelf. The other villagers who don't have portraits cannot be gifted or befriended and are simply there to fill in space.
The first person you'll meet outside your immediate family (Daryl, Marlena, and Lynn) is your Uncle Frank. He will show you the basics of farming and then hand you off to his neighbor, Megan. She'll teach you about animal care and shows you around Westown. Megan, Ginjiro, and Tototara are the leaders of the three towns. When you unlock Lulukoko and Tsuyukusa, the leaders will visit your house in the morning to give you a tour of their towns.
Befriending the villagers will unlock friend events in the game, but you won't be receiving Farm Circle options, clothing, or cooking recipes based on your friendship levels. Having high friendships may help with winning team-based festivals if those villagers are assigned to your competitive team.
The three deities are the only people with a benefit based on friendship level. You need to reach at least 25,000 FP to unlock some of Witchie's face styles available in her magic shop, and you need to have at least 20,000 FP with Dessie, Inari, and Witchie to unlock the dual-color eye options at Witchie's shop.
If you have at least 5000 Friendship Points (FP) with the household members, you may be invited to eat lunch with them once per day. Talk to the villager when he or she is sitting at their dining table and after the conversation dialog, you will be prompted to eat with them. Eating with a villager will take an hour long, restore your stamina, and possibly give you a food power for a while. You will also earn +100 FP with the people you eat with.
- Megan's household: 6:00 to 7:00 (Hector and Colin only), 12:00 to 13:00, 19:00 to 20:00
- Frank: 6:00 to 7:00, 12:00 to 13:00, 18:00 to 19:00
- Wayne: 6:00 to 7:00 (Saturday and Sunday only), 11:00 to 12:00 (not Saturday or Sunday), 19:00 to 20:00 (Saturday and Sunday only)
- Brad's household: 6:00 to 7:00, 23:00 to 24:00
- Lisette: 6:00 to 7:00, 20:00 to 21:00
- Miranda's household: 6:00 to 7:00, 19:00 to 20:00
- Ford: 6:00 to 7:00, 11:00 to 12:00 (not Saturday or Sunday)
- Ittetsu's household: 6:00 to 7:00, 19:00 to 20:00
- Umekichi's household (Yuzuki): 6:00 to 7:00, 18:00 to 19:00
- Ginjiro's household (Komari): 8:00 to 9:00, 19:00 to 20:00
- Moriya: 6:00 to 7:00, 18:00 to 19:00
- Kasumi: 6:00 to 7:00, 20:00 to 21:00
- Boarding house (Hinata): 6:00 to 7:00, 17:00 to 18:00, 19:00 to 20:00 (Sundays and Thursdays only)
- Zahau's household: 10:00 to 11:00, 16:00 to 17:00, 22:00 to 23:00
- Mithra's household (at Lala Salama): 10:30 to 12:00, 17:00 to 18:00
- Iluka and Siluka: 6:00 to 7:00, 12:00 to 13:00 (Friday or Saturday only), 19:00 to 20:00
- Haulani's household: 6:00 to 7:00, 12:00 to 13:00, 18:00 to 19:00
- Tototara's household (Ludus): 6:00 to 7:00, 19:00 to 20:00
You'll need to have 10,000 FP with a marriage candidate if you want to eat lunch with him or her. Inari, Witchie, and Dessie do not have mealtimes to participate in.
You have three family members, two who visit your house while you prove to your father that you can become a great farmer. Marlena and Lynn will stop by for a visit in between completing the list of chores given to you by Daryl. They will stay on your farm for a few days and then they'll leave. Daryl never comes to visit where you can freely interact with him, but he will appear during cut scenes.
While Marlena and/or Lynn are on your farm you can give them gifts, although they are not included in the list of villagers located in your farm house bookshelf to know what your friendship level is with them. Your mom and little sister do not have +1000 FP or +500 FP gifts. You can send letters to your family via the Postio to raise Lynn and Marlena's friendship levels, but Daryl will never gain friendship.