Your farmhouse does not come with a kitchen. As you travel through the world, you'll come across Halo Halo and its Cafe Mahalo. Inside the cafe is Chef Holokai. He and Ahina will teach you how to cook and give you the Grilled Fish recipe set. Doc Jr will contact you the next day to request 2 Iron for a kitchen of your own. Iron Ore is in the mine to the north of the bridge that leads to Halo Halo. Bring the ore back to Doc's lab and convert it to Iron, then talk to Doc Jr. The mini-genius will then install a kitchen in your house.
To cook, walk up to the kitchen and interact with it. The recipe book will appear, listing the recipes that you know. The recipes are divided into Cooking, Hot Dishes, and Cold Dishes.
- A greyed-out recipe means you do not have the ingredients in your rucksack to cook that meal, though you can still open the recipe to see what ingredients are needed.
- An active recipe that has some of its ingredients active while some are still greyed-out means that you can replace that greyed-out ingredient with another member of the same family. Just select the greyed-out ingredient when previewing the recipe to select a different option. For example, if you have a Tomato, Green Bell Pepper, and Phalax in your bag, you can still cook Gazpacho even when you don't have Asparagus in your bag; Phalax is part of the Asparagus family and works as a valid substitute. Not every recipe supports substitutions.
- An active recipe with all of its ingredients highlighted means you have everything you need to make the dish. Cook away!
The ingredients must be in your bag to cook the dish. Confirm that you want to make the selected recipe to whip it up. The game will add an entry in the blue encyclopedia next to the farmhouse bed the first time you successfully prepare a recipe. You do not need to ship the cooked meal to add it to the encyclopedia.
Cooked meals can be shipped for profit, given as gifts, or eaten to recover stamina. The recipe book will list the stamina recovery of a recipe when you press the Y Button (Switch) or Square Button (Ps4). The recipe information page allows you to look through your known recipes for good meals to bring with you while digging in the ore mines.
Obtaining More Recipes
There are 323 cooking recipes to collect and make. Earning a 100% encyclopedia will require you to find all recipes and cook them. You cannot experiment cook to discover recipes in this game. The Playstation and Steam versions of One World has a "Legendary Chef" achievement trophy for cooking every available recipe in the game. The Nintendo Switch version does not support trophies.
WARNING! If you have the Far East DLC, there will be more recipes than pages in the Cooking portion of the kitchen cookbook. Several of the recipes on the last page of the Cooking section will become inaccessible after you buy ALL the Cooking recipe sets; Hot Dishes and Cold Dishes appear to be okay. If you are trying to cook every recipe...
- Wait until after your child is born, so the Baby Formula recipe appears on the last page of the cookbook. Cook the dish.
- Complete the Local Salmiakki Recipes task from Holokai so you learn the Truffle Fried Egg recipe (2nd to the last recipe). Cook that dish.
- Then buy the Fish Pie Recipes set from Holokai, available after getting the Medallion of Time. Then cook the Tuna Pie crecipe (3rd from the last recipe) and the Nidhogg Pie recipe (#4).
Check the Encyclopedia to ensure those four recipes have entries on the last page of the Dishes section. If they are there, then you can move forward with buying the remaining recipe sets. I don't know if or when this will be corrected in the game.
As you receive the medallions from each town, return to Halo Halo and talk to Holokai. He wants to make region-themed recipes and requests you to bring him ingredients.
- Local Calisson Recipes: Bring him 4 Eggs to learn Quiche, Araucana Egg Quiche, Silkie Egg Quiche, Pumpkin Quiche, Zucchini Quiche, Butternut Squash Quiche, Jack-o'-Lantern Quiche, Cream Pumpkin Quiche, Lava-o'-Lantern Quiche, and Mushroom Quiche
- Local Halo Halo Recipes: Bring him 6 Tomatoes to learn Goby Carpaccio, Cod Carpaccio, Barracuda Carpaccio, Sea Bream Carpaccio, Black Porgy Carpaccio, Tuna Carpaccio, and Sardine Carpaccio
- Local Pastilla Recipes: Bring him 6 Onions to learn Flower Salad, Flower Cake, Flower Gelato, and Jersey Milk Flower Gelato
- Local Lebkuchen Recipes: Bring him 2 Jersey Milk to learn Cheese Fondue, Camembert Fondue, Blue Cheese Fondue, J. Cheese Fondue, Chocolate Fondue, Burgundy Fondue, and Soup Fondue
- Local Salmiakki Recipes: Bring him 2 Truffles to learn Beet Salad, Water Beet Salad, Truffle Salad, Stargazy Pie, Truffles Meuniere, Truffles a la Grande Meuniere, Truffle Fried Egg, Truffle Soup, Borscht, Water Beet Borscht, Truffles au Gratin, and Truffle Fondue
Samantha's mobile cart also sells recipes. To unlock Samantha's shop, talk to Ahina after receiving the Medallion of Water. She'll request that you bring her 4 Palm Lumber to fix up her mobile cart, Laulea. You can collect Palm Lumber by chopping down the palm trees in the area; they will regrow after a few days. After bringing the lumber to Ahina, she'll fix up her cart. You'll also unlock Samantha's mobile cart. Samantha will then start selling cooking recipe sets from her cart, costing between 15,000 G and 75,000 G.
Villagers will also give you tasks that reward you with recipes. You can receive the same task multiple times, but only the first time you complete the task will reward you with the recipe.
Cooked meals that you receive as task rewards do not count towards completing the recipe book. The reward meals can still be eaten, given as gifts, or shipped for profit.